Bio with Bedard

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bio with Bedard

Mrs. Bedard is a Biology teacher, heading both CP and honors classes. She has been teaching at Summerville High for three years now.

Mrs. Bedard graduated from Francis Marion University with a degree in Biology and Chemistry and she is currently in graduate school in pursuit of a Masters degree in administration.

“When I was in college, teaching never crossed my mind, but I have always had a love for science,” Bedard explained about her original plans for the future, “While in college, I participated in genetics research at FMU and even had an opportunity to do research at Wake Forest University. I really loved the lab and planned on having a career in biomedical research, but an opportunity opened up for a teaching position at a school in my hometown and I accepted.”

Mrs. Bedard had always played teacher when she was a kid, but it wasn’t anything she viewed as an actual career plan, and where better to start off her career than her hometown?

After establishing her career, she later began teaching at Summerville High.

One of my favorite things about teaching biology is the fact that I have the opportunity to see my 9th and 10th grade students grow and mature, and ultimately walk across the stage at graduation,” said Mrs. Bedard about her favorite teaching memories.

Mrs. Bedard loves to reflect on her students and see what they have become over the years of being in her class.

I do not have just one favorite memory at Summerville because most of my experiences have been awesome,”  says Bedard, “I love being apart of the traditions here at Summerville and have really enjoyed becoming a Green Wave through extracurricular activities, sports, and clubs. I have made many lasting friendships with my colleagues and enjoy supporting our students together whether it be at a football game or at the school play.”

Mrs. Bedard loves the community and being around her co-workers at Summerville High School.

Mrs. Bedard does her best to be like her teacher, Ms. Corning, whom she credits for her passion for science and teaching.

“One of my favorite parts about teaching is to see a student truly interested and yearning for more information about a topic,” said Bedard, “I want my classroom to be somewhere students WANT to learn and be excited about learning.

“Growing up, playing teacher was one of my favorite things to do and would always make my family play along,” said Mrs. Bedard. “Watching her teach and seeing her passion for the subject, really has inspired me in my short teaching career,” Mrs. Bedard reflected.

She truly loves teaching kids and making her room a thrilling place to be. Mrs. Bedard is more than great teacher, she’s a friend who’s is there for her students to talk to for whatever reason, good or bad.

“Growing up in a very small town made the size of Summerville High School very intimidating,” Bedard explained, “However, when I was being interviewed by Mr. Hodges, I realized that even though SHS is a big school, it still had a lot of small town vibes! The reason I am at SHS is because of Mr. Hodges.”

Mrs. Bedard has been a spectacular teacher at Summerville for three years now and plans to keep going.

About the Contributor
Colby Shirey, Staff Writer

Colby Shirey is a freshman at SHS and this is his first year with The Wave Breaker. He plays varsity football and JV baseball for Summerville High School....