Catching up with Causey

Back to Article
Back to Article

Catching up with Causey

Welcome to Chemistry!

Welcome to Chemistry!

Mason Baird

Welcome to Chemistry!

Mason Baird

Mason Baird

Welcome to Chemistry!

Mason Baird
Welcome to Chemistry!

Ms.Causey has been teaching chemistry at Summerville High School for three years and started teaching after graduating from Clemson University. Ms. Causey decided to become a teacher to make sure students were prepared for college.

“ …I didn’t learn a lot of science when I was in high school. I then went on to Clemson and was really behind and didn’t understand a lot of stuff, so I decided that I wanted to be a teacher to make sure students were prepared for college and for what was next. Also I just love students and it really fits my personality, and its a job that I love,” said Ms. Causey

Ms. Causey decided to teach at Summerville High School so she could be closer to her family. She was also encouraged to teach here by Mrs. Leviner.  

“It’s closer to my family then I was when I was up at Clemson, but it’s far enough away where I could start a life on my own, and there were a lot of things leading me here. I thought about it, I prayed about it, and a lot of things fell in place for me to come here, plus Mrs. Leviner was pretty awesome and she convinced me to come to Summerville,” explained Ms. Causey.  

“…I never was the student who was like ‘ I want to be a teacher’  and so I went to college for pre-pharmacy and then decided I didn’t want to do that, I didn’t want to be a pharmacist so I went to China and taught English there for a little bit over Christmas break, when I was in college and decided that I love working with students, and so that’s when I changed my major,” said Ms. Causey.

Ms. Causey didn’t always want to be a teacher. She realized it was something she wanted to do when she had experience with teaching students when she was in college.  If Ms.Causey had decided not to be a teacher, she would still want to be in a job that allowed her to help people.

“ I would be living in another country, probably teaching English, but living in another country, doing mission work probably, because I would love to live in another culture and help people…” said Ms. Causey.  

Ms. Causey thinks it is important for students to learn about chemistry because it affects their everyday lives.

“  …Everything that people like breaks down to some kind of chemical. We use materials every day. We use different compounds. We are made of chemicals and its so interesting to me that everything in the universe is made out of 118 things on a table, and its so cool to see the puzzle pieces of everything and how they fit together.” explained Ms. Causey.

Ms. Causey’s favorite part of working at Summerville High School is the community and the people she gets to interact with everyday. Her favorite part about teaching is the students’ reaction to what she’s teaching.

“I love the students here, they’re great. I have a great group of friends here who are teachers, who I love and so there’s a really good community. I’ve been privileged to work with a great group of chemistry teachers who have really helped me and helped me become the teacher that I am. I have a good community inside and outside the school…,” explained Ms. Causey.

“ … My favorite part about teaching is teaching something and students realizing how exciting it is. So that lightbulb moment just when students realize that something is interesting and relevant and that they are excited that they learned it,” shared Ms. Causey.  

Many students like Ms.Causey’s class because she encourages her students to work together and share ideas.  

“My favorite part about Ms.Causey’s class was how everyone was cooperative and worked together,” said junior Ashlynn Scruggs, a former student of Ms. Causey.

Teachers like Ms.Causey are important because they are dedicated to helping students succeed.

About the Contributors
Emily Morris, Staff Writer

Emily Morris is a junior at Summerville High School, and this is her second year on the Wave Breaker staff. She enjoys reading, and her favorite series...

Hailey Blewer, Staff Writer

This is Hailey Blewer’s first year on the Wave Breaker staff. She’s a junior and a 6th year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  Hailey...

Mason Baird, Staff Writer

Mason Baird is a first year staff member on the Wave Breaker publication. He is 15 years old, and an active sophomore at Summerville, and is on the football...