Walking into science With Ms. Walker

Ms.+Walker+showing+off+her+ferrets.+
Ms. Walker showing off her ferrets.

Ms. Walker showing off her ferrets.

Ms. Walker showing off her ferrets.

In the front hallway for Summerville High School a very important teacher is busy educating the next generation of scientists. Mrs. Walker, a CP and Honors Biology teacher who has taught for 19 years. has made it her goal for every one of her students to learn something new in her classroom.

When people first meet Mrs. Walker they are often taken aback by her honesty and toughness, but as they get to know her find out how kind and compassionate she is. When she talks about her students it’s easy to tell she truly cares about every single one of them and makes it her goal to help all of them, even if that help is simply good advice.

“Ms. Walker is an amazing teacher. She always makes sure that we are ready, for the EOC and for life. I would trust her with anything. She seems to always know what to do or say” said Zachary Sowards, sophomore.

Mrs. Walker always makes sure a student knows that she’s there to help.

“I think I am considered a ‘safe’ teacher. Student and teachers know they can talk to me about anything. They know I will advocate for them and do my best to help them resolve any issues. And they know I will protect them with my life” said Mrs. Walker.

Most people are surprised when they find out Ms. Walker didn’t always aim to be a teacher, but she’s happy she did.

“I fell into teaching by accident. I was going to veterinary school until my husband came along and domesticated me! I started a long term sub position for at risk students where 70% had been previously incarcerated. I loved it and I have laughed EVERYDAY since” Mrs. Walker explained.

But just like every teacher she knows that you can’t force a student to learn if they don’t want to, but thinks the teachers of SHS try their hardest to try and make students learn.

“I believe SHS and its teachers provide numerous opportunities for students to improve and grow, but ultimately it is up to each individual student to choose to embrace the opportunity” Mrs. Walker commented.

With Mrs. Walker’s caring personality, it makes sense that she would love animals. In her own classroom she has two ferrets that she loves. They come with her to school almost every single day. The students love them and they help the environment of the classroom be more friendly.

“She’s tough, but in a motherly way. She holds you accountable to your actions and knows that you can do better. I always know she is rooting for me and has my wellbeing in heart” shared Hailey Lippy, sophomore.

Her advice, is always something that every one of her students should follow: Always strive to be the best that you can be, because mediocrity is not acceptable.

Mrs. Walker is always there for her students, she has lead so many to great success and she will continue to do the best she can.

“I wish I could say I’ve had a positive impact on every student. But the reality is that I failed some to my great disappointment. I have had some let me know after graduation that although they didn’t realize and appreciate me at the time that they do now. One of those communications even came from the office of President Obama! Ultimately, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing a former student being productive happy adults. It is such an honor to been a part of their amazing growth.” Mrs. Walker finished.

About the Writer
Matea Jacobs, Staff Writer

Matea Jacobs is a fun-loving adventurous girl and this is her third year writing for the newspaper. She has always been interested in journalism and hopes...