What’s cooking with cook?

Mr. Cook is a Chemistry teacher by day but a genius by night. This is his second year teaching, but he has had a plethora of other occupations.

“I worked as a coffee roaster and manager of a coffee shop in South Jersey, a musician in the Hilton Head area, in audio-video sales, assistant manager of a paint store, several restaurants in various positions, in a number of labs related to biochemistry, molecular biology, x-ray crystallography, molecular modeling and drug discovery” said Cook.

Cook’s grandmother said that he was happiest when he was a coffee roaster and manager in South Jersey.

Mr. Cook is currently finishing up the PACE program for individuals like himself who worked in another field before teaching.

“I did some teaching when I worked as a lab technician/lab manager at Claflin University related to Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. I also did a lot of tutoring in Chemistry before I started teaching” said Cook.

Before he became a teacher he graduated from College of Charleston with a bachelor’s degree in Chemistry and Biochemistry.

Cook then continued to try and obtain his PhD at MUSC for several years after working in several labs and taking classes. He ended up leaving at the master’s level when his research project fell apart and then he started teaching here.

What some students might not know about Mr. Cook is that he traveled all the way to South India this past summer with his wife, who is from the area. He has also traveled the U.S. from coast to coast and said that he’s gone by car and by train several times.

Students might also not know that he is a registered nurse in South Carolina and he received an appointment to West Point in high school from Joe Biden.

Besides his various travels he also has a variety of hobbies he enjoys.

“I participated in All State Choir in high school. I am a guitarist, singer and songwriter. I am a good tennis player, and a ferocious competitor in ping-pong. I enjoy puzzles of all kinds, particularly crosswords (I can solve the Saturday New York Times, if that mean anything to someone who knows what I am talking about). I am good at chess. I am a voracious reader, especially of classic sci-fi, fantasy and horror in my younger days. I am an expert pretzel and bagel maker. I wrote a children’s book, currently being sold on Amazon” shared Cook.

Not only does he love getting to know the students he teaches, he also loves to help them grow as individuals and build relationships with them.

Cook enjoys the challenge of teaching Chemistry which he describes, “is often the toughest class students have to take in both high school and college. Teaching requires a substantial amount of creativity to develop engaging lessons. It also requires lots of flexibility and the ability to communicate a concept in a number of ways for different learners.”

Mr. Cook is “honored and privileged” to be named teacher of the month and he thanks everyone on the staff.

The Wave Breaker staff congratulates Mr. Cook on his well deserved title of teacher of the month!