Spotlight on Olson

Emilie Williams

Emilie Williams

Toni Olson is an art teacher here at Summerville High. She teaches multiple levels of 3D Design, including AP. Her bright personality and relatable approach to learning and creating makes her a favorite among students in her class.

“Being creative is one of the most important parts of society. If you’re not creative, what sets you apart from everyone else?” said Olson.

Being an art teacher is Olson’s passion and it shows. She is dedicated to helping students find their true potential and even allows work to have a part in her home life.

Teaching and creating art goes as far as to influence the way Mrs. Olson is raising her daughter.

“There are so many things my daughter will never get away with that I see students here do.” said Olson. “[Teaching] even affected how we named her.”

Olson knew she wanted to be a teacher in her sophomore year in high school. Although she explored the medical field and even assisted in finding a cure for alcohol overdose at MUSC, she eventually returned to education.

“Art was my safe haven so to speak,” said Olson. Her love of art and kids influenced her career decision in a massive way.

Unfortunately, the arts programs at Summerville are funded less compared to other schools in the district. Each year, Olson writes to the Distinguished Art Program, or DAP for a grant.

“Without [the grant], we would not have any of the technology we have, like Macs, iPads, Wacom tablets for media arts, stereo equipment and mics, and safety equipment for dance” Olson explained.

If she could add anything to the program regardless of budget, Olson would add more space, something all of the creative arts teachers need.

“My favorite classes I teach are probably the higher levels, because you can do so much with them, but I also love the level ones, because you can see them start to get it and realize they can create art” shared Olson.

Mrs. Olson is a driving and determined force of creativity here at SHS. She makes students believe in themselves and draws ingenuity from those willing. Hopefully, she will continue to teach here at Summerville for a long time.