Shelby+Sanders
Back to Article
Back to Article

Shelby Sanders

Shelby Sanders

Shelby Sanders

Cailey Smith

Shelby Sanders

Cailey Smith

Cailey Smith

Shelby Sanders

Shelby Sanders

Q: What inspired you to play basketball?

A: Honestly, no one really inspired me to play. It was more of a trial and error process. When I lived in West Virginia, sports were a big deal, so I knew from a very young age that I wanted to play a sport. In elementary school, the process began. I played soccer, but I tripped over the ball. I tried cheerleading, but they were too squeaky. I tried softball, but soon learned the ball was not soft. Then my mom forced me to go to third grade basketball tryouts. I immediately fell in love and also became very close with the coach, I still am to this day.

Q: Why do you wear the number 10?

A: Before I moved here in freshman year, I played on an elite travel ball team where I was assigned number 10. I found who i truly was and my own style on that team so I felt it was only right to carry that with me to a new school.

Q: How long have you played basketball?

A: I came to Summerville High (5A school) freshman year from Summers County middle (1A school) and made varsity my freshman year. I was overjoyed and in shock. I was the only freshman and absolutely terrified, but it has shaped me into the team captain I am today.

Q: Who is your biggest inspiration to play basketball?

A: My biggest inspiration to play basketball is my elementary school basketball coach and his family. The Surber family has become my second family and they support me fully. In fact, This Thursday at our first home game, Coach Surber is driving 800 miles to come watch me play.

Q: What is your favorite basketball memory?

A: My favorite basketball memory is from my 8th grade championship. The other team’s coach made all five of his players line up down the whole court to play defense. I weaved through every single one of them and made the layup. We won the game and it was my very last game with my childhood teammates.

Q: What is your goal for the team this year?

A:  These are our team goals that we created at the beginning of this season that we kept on the whiteboard in locker room:

1. Win 20+ games
  2. Win regionals
  3. Have the best defense in the lowcountry with lots of talking
  4. Improve shooting as a team
  5. Give full hustle the whole game & every practice

Q: What is your favorite subject? Why?

A:  My favorite subject is english because I love to write and be creative. I’ve honestly never been much of a math person.

Q: Who is your favorite teacher? Why?

A: My favorite teacher is Mrs. Sommerville because she is one of the sweetest and most honest people I know. She makes everyone smile, but still will be real with you when the time comes. I am so lucky to have had her 1 of my 4 years here.

Q: How do you manage to have time for school and basketball?

A: The only way to manage a sport and school is by having great time management. Whether it’s doing homework on the bus on the way to a game or staying up late or listening to audio versions of books in the shower. If both are important enough to you then you’ll find a way to succeed.

Q: What thrives you to be a better student in school?

A: I plan on attending Virginia Tech in the fall of 2019. I have visited that campus many times and I love the atmosphere. They also have one of the best programs for pediatrics and that is what I am mostly interested in.

Q: What motivates you to be a good student in the classroom?

A: I motivate myself to be a good student in the classroom because I have goals that just won’t be achieved if I’m a lazy student. By being respectful and staying on top of your work, you can make your life 10 times easier. There are absolutely no benefits of being a bad student.

Q: What does it mean to be a student athlete?

A: Every time someone asks me what being a student athlete means to me the only thing I can think about is a certain quote. Vince Lombardi says, “The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have”. Read it twice if you have to, but really think about it. If you have the potential to make good grades and achieve your goals at your dream college region then you do it. If you have the skill to win region then you and your team should do nothing less than that.

The Wave Breaker • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in