Rasner begins seventh year as head coach

February 6, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coach Rasner has been coaching at SHS for 7 years.

Jesus Alarcon

Jesus Alarcon

Jesus Alarcon

Jason Rasner is entering his 7th year as the head coach of the men’s soccer team, and he has seen a lot change throughout his tenure.

Rasner started playing soccer at the age of 4 and continues to play 40 years later. He has coached 8 players in the past 7 years that went on to play for a college soccer team.

“The players now are way different from when I started. We have to address work ethic a lot” said Coach Rasner.

As he enters into the 2018 season, Coach Rasner looks to keep the team heading in the right direction after making it to the second round of the playoffs last year.

“One of our goals is to make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs” Coach Rasner shared.

The team plays in one of the toughest 5A regions in the state, yet Coach Rasner still plans to finish in the top 3. He plans for his team to achieve this by conceding less than 25 goals, while scoring a minimum of 50 goals during the course of the season.

Last season the team went 7-12-1 and finished 5th in the region, but allowed 65 goals and only scored 34. This season he plans to prepare for games more effectively.

“We plan to prepare for each and every team we see through film and practice” continued Coach Rasner.

As a whole, Coach Rasner expects this team to perform better than in the years past. He expects for his goals to be met by the team.

“We will be a much more close knit team this season” explained Coach Rasner. “They play club in the offseason and most are in weightlifting.”

Many of them are on the highest level club team for their age group. Playing together in the off season allows for the boys to continue building chemistry with each other.

The has 17 players made up of 4 seniors, 9 juniors and 4 sophomores. With the limited amount of seniors on the team, the leadership falls on some of the juniors that have been playing at the varsity level for the past 2 seasons.

The team however, is not short of experience adding only adding 3 new players all of which have been playing JV in the previous years. Rasner intends to make sure that players are experienced enough at high school level competition to be successful in the region on the varsity level.

“I feel that many players that have played JV are ready for varsity during their sophomore year” said Rasner.

The team starts their season at the Kats Kick Cancer Tournament at Lexington High School from February 23-25. The play their first home match on March 6th against Wando High School who is the reigning 5A State Champion.