SHS hosts annual elementary track meet

March 7, 2017

On Feb. 25, 2017 the SHS Track team invited all elementary students kindergarten through 5th grade to Summerville High School to have their own track meet. Many students showed up to watch their friends and siblings perform in the event.

SHS Track charged a fee to those participating, which raised money for the Track program. SHS track runners met to help regulate the event and make it interesting.

“I liked the way the event went. More people showed up than expected,” said Tyrese Grant, a senior returner.

Imagine Patterson, junior, one of Summerville’s most decorated runners is always excited to tell her track experiences throughout the school.

“We prepared to have fun in the event for the kids and we did helping and teaching the kids the basics of track running” shared Patterson.

SHS teacher and parent Ms. Elizabeth Sears was a big fan of the event, too.

“The high schoolers and coaches ran the day with some of the high schoolers measuring jumps, lining up kids, and cheering. It was fun! They had volunteers from Track and I think Student Council and NHS” said Sears.

This track meet was to teach kids and let them have fun outside of school, but still within the community. Many different students said they will be sending younger family members to the event next year.

At the end of the track meet, a handicapped elementary student participated with no discrimination from his peers, and was cheered on all the way to the finish line. This was a reminder of what the event was really meant for – to show kids that anyone in any predicament can have fun.