Football and baseball player Graham McCurry shows off his State Championship ring before the first round of the AAAAA playoffs.

Patrick Baird

Patrick Baird

Green Wave wins diamonds on the diamond

November 22, 2016

Before Summerville High School’s football team’s first playoff game on Fri., Nov. 18, 2015-2016 baseball team was presented with their State Championship rings.

Summerville baseball had a long, hard-fought year last season and came out on top over JL Mann in the State Championship series.

The athletes are proud of their rings.

“The ring says it all” said Jonny Watts, senior.

2016 grads Bo Gobin, Sawyer Bridges, Jack Bahen, and Brock Tobin were heavy hitters for the team last year. They all reunited for a day back on their home turf to remember history at the historic stadium.

Former Head Coach, Banks Faulkner, led the former team to victory after a difficult playoff ride. Faulkner is now recently coaching at Blythewood High School this year.

Coach Bo Charpia will be SHS Baseball’s new head coach this upcoming season, looking to lead them to another championship.

“Our team didn’t expect [Faulkner’s leaving] but I’m ready for this it’s a lot of expectations from me” said new head coach, Bo Charpia.

What’s next for the Wave?

“We seniors will get more reps this year than most of the team, so we have to be prepared to match what we did last year even better” said Bryce Speciale, senior.