Ring chasing

Two-sport athlete, Shaq Davis, looks to begin ring chasing with the rest of the team at the end of November.

Ronnell Murray

Ronnell Murray

As he steps on the court, there’s only one thing on his mind: a ring. Not a second goes by without dreaming of it and finally instead of just dreaming, he’s going to chase after it.

Since the age of eleven, Kyren Floyd, senior, has aspired to be the best basketball player he could be. Putting in long hours of practice and never settling for anything less than 100% effort from himself.

Through the years his drive has carried over, and now, he’s ready to take on a new challenge: a state championship ring.

In 2007, the boys Green Wave basketball team captured the state title and in 2017, senior Kyren Floyd hopes that they can once again bring home a trophy. In order to accomplish a goal like a state title, there must be a driving factor.

“I think our teamwork during the offseason should transfer in a positive way and increase our skill level in the regular season” stated Floyd.

Motivation has played a major role in the amount of work put in during the offseason.

His personal goal this season is to become a better shooter, but as a team, his “ultimate goal is to be the top team in the region, and make a run for state” said Floyd.

At four years old, Luke Jones began a hobby that soon turned into a passion.

“I started playing when I was four and I’ve been playing ever since” stated Jones.

Although he enjoys the game as a whole, over the years he’s acquired favorite aspects of the game itself.

“I like shooting, but I also love working with other individuals and being part of a basketball family.” concluded Jones.

Sophomore Jonathan Bennett is young, but his character is a big part of the team. This year he plans on taking the initiative and encouraging his teammates on and off the court.

“I just have to keep everyone’s head up,” stated Bennett. “It’s going to be a long season and not everything is going to be perfect, but we need to focus on improving everyday.” Bennett continued.

Similarly to Floyd, Bennett is also looking to make a run for a state title.

“I think every team goal is to win a state championship, I’m looking forward to accomplishing that goal and having fun while doing it” said Bennett.

What makes a successful team?

“Everybody on the team has a role no matter how big or small. It can be as big as scoring thirty points in a night or as small as playing thirty seconds, but everyone needs to know their role and do their best at it” Bennett explained.

The boys will begin their journey with their first game on Nov. 29 at Cane Bay High School.