Lights, Camera, ACTION!: Your guide to a great movie experience in 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movies in 2019.

Movies in 2019.

Eve Katz

Movies in 2019.

Eve Katz

Eve Katz

Movies in 2019.

2018 saw the year of multiple Spider-Men (and women), our favorite pop culture icons alive in the oasis, shouting Wakanda forever, showing love to Simon, and movie-goers were feeling incredible too! Until a purple brute snapped in “Avengers: Infinity War”, then our hopes and dreams turned to dust. 2019 has a ton of hype and anticipation for its films.

Horror

Horror had an okay 2018 with films such as “Unsane”,  the remake of the cult classic “Halloween”, and a breakout film entitled, “Hereditary”, but 2019 is showing us some amazing works of art.

“Us, ” directed by Jordan Peele, will follow the story of The Wilson’s. Adelaide Wilson (Lupita Nyong’O) returns to the beachfront where she grew up with her family, but things go sour once her greatest fears become a reality in a form of four masked strangers. “Us” is prepared to scare audiences on March 22, 2019.

“Pet Sematary” a remake of a classic Stephen King story. The plot follows Dr. Louis Creed (Jason Clarke) and his wife Rachel Creed (Amy Semietz) as they move from Boston to Maine. Where they find a rural burial ground that has a reputation of bringing back the dead, but not everything is as it seems. “Pet Sematary” will be reviving our love for horror on April 5, 2019.

Clowns are freaky, but what about a clown who literally feeds off of the fear of children? He dances and shapeshifts into your biggest fear, but it’s okay he only comes every 27 years: it’s Pennywise from “IT”. “IT” is fan favorite, from the mini tv series all the way to the 2017 reboot. “IT: Chapter Two” takes place following the events of the 2017 film and covering the second half of the novel. “IT: Chapter Two” is set to show audience-members if they can “float down there” on September 6, 2019.

Disney

Live-action Disney movies have gotten not only controversy, but also great praise. “Beauty & The Beast”, “Christopher Robin”, and “Cinderella” have already been released, but more modern twists on classics are hitting the big screen in 2019.

“Aladdin”, is a favorite for many Disney fans. With the help of a brand new, magical friend like he’s never had before, Aladdin’s adventures are sure to entertain. Blue genie, beautiful love interest, and a powerful mortal enemy make this plot an intriguing one. Prepare to be mystified on May 24, 2019.

It’s hard not to recognize the iconic sunrise opening of “The Lion King”. Beloved characters Mufasa, Scar, Simba, Pumba and Timon will return in a live action story with the voices of Donald Glover, Beyonce, and Seth Rogen. Audiences just can’t wait to see Simba become king on July 19, 2019.

Dumbo: he’s carnival elephant with the ears so big that he can fly! The 1941 classic is getting a brand new spin on March 29, 2019. “Dumbo” is set with not only star power, like Michael Keaton and Danny Devito, it’s also sure to provide a warm-hearted story for everyone to enjoy.

Comedies

If you don’t want Captain America’s shield thrown in your face or or some sappy dappy vampire love story, then get ready to laugh with these movies.

“Isn’t It Romantic” was released on February 13, 2019. It follows Natalie (Rebel Wilson), who works at an architecture firm, a girl who craves recognition for her work but feels invisible. Instead of designing buildings like she wants, however, she’s the coffee girl. During a weird mugging, she gets knocked unconscious and wakes up in her own Rom-Com.

“Long Shot” stars Seth Rogen as Fred Flarsky, a journalist who has a penchant for getting in trouble. Charlotte Field (Charlize Theron) runs for president and decides to hire the trouble journalist, but soon comes to realize that she use to babysit him, and he had a major crush on her. Field’s trusted advisors don’t exactly like Fred, see why on May 3, 2019.

“Fighting With My Family” tells the story of Saraya “Paige” Bevins (Florence Pugh), who is a popular female wrestler and public figure in the United Kingdom. Bevins made it through the independence scene, then got signed onto NXT,  and eventually eventually made it big on the night after Wrestlemania by defeating the Diva’s Champion AJ lee (Zelina Vega) and becoming champion.

Superhero flicks

DC hasn’t had a good track record, but with these two movies. Might be their big break.

“Shazam!” follows leading character 14 year-old Billy Batson (Asher Angel, Zachary Levi), he loves fighting and getting into trouble, which might pose a problem when he gets taken in by a new foster family. His foster brother Freddy (Jack Dylan Grazer), who suffers from Polio, accompanies him on his way to becoming the hero Shazam after a wizard of the same name (Djimon Hounsou) granted Batson powers.

The most insane and deranged character in all of comic book fiction is widely considered to be the Joker. The infamous clown prince will be played by Joaquin Phoenix in his newest appearance. This could be the darkest DC movie to date. The man who laughs will shows his dark motives on October 4, 2019.

May 2, 2008 is a historic day for many comic fans, as it’s the day the Marvel Cinematic Universe began. “Iron -Man” was released and now 10 years later, we have a plethora of movies about our favorite masked wonders.

“Captain Marvel”, released on March 8, 2019. This movie is Marvel’s first female main character in the cinematic universe. Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) is a kree warrior, caught between the kree and the skrulls. She ends up on Earth, where she finds a young Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) to help her recover her lost memories.

Spider-Man is a household name. Peter Parker (Tom Holland) is taking a field trip to europe in his newest adventure, where he wants a break from being Spider-Man. Nick Fury  (Samuel L. Jackson), however, disagrees and wants Parker to address the threat surrounding Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhaal). With a new suit and a ruined field trip, what does Peter have to lose?  “Spider-Man: Far From Home” web-slings onto the big screen on July 5, 2019.

The Avengers: Earth’s mightiest heroes. Thanos took everything away from them. Tony Stark, aka Iron-Man, is adrift in space and is running out of food and oxygen. The rest of the heroes are looking for a way to reverse Thanos’ snap, which killed half of the universe. One last fight with the mad titan to set everything right, or Earth’s greatest heroes will be defeated once and for all. Fans will find out the fate of their favorite heroes on April 23, 2019 when “Avengers: Endgame” is released.

2019 should be a glorious year for film; all genres are getting their time to shine. 2019 will not only bring the fire, but bring something fresh to the world of filmmaking.

About the Contributors
Elijah Hallums, Staff Writer

Okay Okay, hello! This amazing person is Elijah, well he goes by Eli but that’s beside the point. He’s into 90's horror movies and photography, although...

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editors-in-chief of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...