Revamped video games in 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Revamped video games in 2019

The

The "Soul Caliber" video game

Elijah Hallums

The "Soul Caliber" video game

Elijah Hallums

Elijah Hallums

The "Soul Caliber" video game

Gamers love when a beloved series is remastered. As long as the series is done justice by developers, and there have been some terrible remasters on classic amazing video games (i’m looking at you “Sonic the Hedgehog” ‘06), but there has been some well-received and amazing adaptations.

Beloved games such as “Mortal Kombat”, “Resident Evil”, “Crash Bandicoot”, “Devil May Cry”, “Doom”,  “Super Mario Bros.”, “Final Fantasy”, and more have been given modern versions. Fans of classic video games demand to see their favorite titles return back into their loving arms. There’s nothing more exciting than a new game, but newer and improved versions of popular classics bring on a whole new level of excitement.

“Resident Evil 2”, a fan-favorite of the iconic franchise, was originally released in 1998. The game follows the story of a young and somewhat experienced Leon Kennedy, along with Claire Redfield, a college student who’s looking for her brother Chris. Umbrella Corp., the soul reason behind the zombie outbreak happening in Raccoon City.

Survival-horror has always been a mainstay for the main “Resident Evil” games. With this new RE engine breathing new life into the game, the feeling of limited resources, running into tight corners, only relying on what you have in stock fighting for your life has increased since the original.

“Mortal Kombat 11” is another new installment of a rebooted franchise. “Mortal Kombat” is a bloody fighting game that introduced the ESRB rating system. For it’s senseless violence and Grotesque gameplay, hidden features and Easter eggs, “Mortal Kombat” has become a household name. Classic characters such as Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Liu Kang, Jax, Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade, and more continue to excite fans decades after the original game’s release.

“Mortal Kombat” debuted in 1992 bringing 2-D fighting forefront. The game series rebooted in 2011 with just “Mortal Kombat”, then the sequel, “Mortal Kombat X”, was released in 2015, and now “Mortal Kombat 11” is coming out in 2019, bringing old and new fans together for a bloody good time.

“Soulcalibur VI”, a 3-D fighter and reboot of the first soul calibur game, was released in October 2018. The story follows a young Seigfried wreaking havoc across Europe. With returning characters such as Kilik, Maxi, Sophitia and Yoshimitsu, it’s no wonder fans were so excited for the remake. New characters were also added: Groh, Azwel, and two guest characters. The fast-paced gameplay along with a new gaming engine, contribute to the rebooted “Soulcalibur” being a gorgeous game for all to enjoy.

“Devil May Cry V”, which takes place after “Devil May Cry 2”, a continuation in the story. “DMCV” follows the story of Nero, a newcomer to the demon hunting business, and his “sidekick”: Nico. “Devil May Cry V” is set to release in March 8, 2019. It’s one of the most anticipated games of 2019. Nero isn’t the only character you can play, as Dante is making a return from the first four games, as well as another character, V, who is making his debut into the popular franchise. With little details on the plot we expect “Devil May Cry V” to give fans what they have been dying for.

Classic video games will stay true to our hearts, whether it’s a sequel to a story like “Devil May Cry,” and “Mortal Kombat,” or a beautiful remaster like “Resident Evil 2” and “Soulcalibur.” There’s more remaster titles on the horizon, bringing a gorgeous experience for us all.

About the Contributor
Elijah Hallums, Staff Writer

Okay Okay, hello! This amazing person is Elijah, well he goes by Eli but that’s beside the point. He’s into 90's horror movies and photography, although...