Seasons of Music

“Hey, I got this idea. You want to do it?”

These are the words uttered by junior Heather Harper that allowed her to direct and act in the spring production Seasons of Music, a musical theatre showcase.

However, the class was lacking one thing: a teacher.

Part of the chorus teacher’s job is to direct the spring musical, and since there is technically no chorus teacher, it was believed that SHS would not be producing a musical this spring.

That’s where Heather Harper and Grey Hohn come in.

The two juniors are tasked with putting together a musical scene show in place of the musical.

“We wanted to do something where we could let [students] do something that they wanted, but also have a structured kind of show that would give them the feel of a full spring production, but more individualized,” Harper said.

Together, Harper and Hohn have the responsibility of producing a full production, but without the luxury of an adult to aid them. (It should be noted that the theatre teacher, Mr. Smith, is their sponsor and supervisor, but the job of directing the actual show falls to Harper and Hohn).

“It was originally Heather’s idea,” Hohn said. “The musical theater teacher, whenever he was here, was going to do Into The Woods. We knew that there weren’t enough parts for everybody who wanted to be in it to be in it.”

“Normally the musical theatre classes are in ensemble, and considering that Into The Woods doesn’t really have an ensemble, we knew that a lot of the students were going to be left out,” Harper explained.

Initially, the production was simply going to be a collection of songs and pieces picked by the cast under the name Chaos.

“Chaos was chaos,” Hohn laughed while remembering the dysfunctional predecessor to Seasons of Music.

“Mr. Smith and I were sitting together, trying to figure out what songs we wanted, and the problem is that the songs that they [auditioned with] weren’t right for them, or we didn’t really like, or were inappropriate,” Harper said.

That’s how Seasons of Music was born. But it hasn’t all been smooth sailing.

“We started thinking about it, and we could do metaphorical seasons, literal seasons. How cool would that be?”

From there, Harper and Hohn had to re-audition everyone, and try to fit the songs they chose into the theme like a puzzle.

“We took the songs and thought, ‘We could technically fit this one in that season, we could fit that in that season,’ and then it made it a lot easier to organize the show,” Harper said. “The worst part has been deciding the songs, because there are so many great songs that we had and we wanted to include but that we just couldn’t because we can’t have a three hour show!”

“For me, one of the worst things,” Hohn added, “was the fact that with this kind of thing, because it’s student led, so many people…don’t take it as seriously.”

Despite this power struggle with their peers, Harper and Hohn’s ultimate goal is, as Harper puts it, “to try and make your song look amazing and outshine every other production ever done at this school.”

Determine if Seasons of Music really outshines all other performances this April 14-17 in the SHS auditorium.