Stranger things first episode review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stranger things first episode review

"Stranger Things is one of the best shows available right now. It satisfies the nostalgic mind and the horror fan without being cheesy or unnecessarily gory."

Licensed for individual use

Licensed for individual use

Licensed for individual use

I had high hopes about Stranger Things after hearing rave reviews and watching the Emmy’s performance by the main cast, so, I figured I would watch it. Stranger Things is a Netflix original series, which is a promising factor given the company’s history of successful shows such as The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

It is a science fiction, suspense, horror show, set in 1983. The first episode focuses on the mysterious disappearance of Will (Noah Schnapp) and how the whole town, especially the main characters, Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo), Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin), and Mike (Finn Wolfhard), are affected. There is also a secret laboratory in which an alien-esque creature escapes and is connected with Will’s disappearance.

First impressions: I thoroughly enjoyed this show. It was well written, with a great story and amazing actors and actresses.

I am extremely impressed with these young actors. They hold their own with the adult actors on screen. It all seems very genuine and believable. My favorite scene is where Joyce and Jonathan, Will’s mother and brother, are sitting on the couch trying to find a good picture of Will to put on the missing sign. It’s full of emotion and grief. I typically don’t cry at movies, especially tv shows, because I have a heart of ice, but this scene made me bawl. And Eleven’s (Millie Bobby Brown) character is so interesting and mysterious. Eleven has two lines. Brown is playing this complex character virtually silent, and is doing a spectacular job. All of her characterization is physical, which is very hard to accomplish.

The writers, Matt and Ross Duffer, have done an incredible job creating believable and interesting dialogue for Stranger Things. It was serious and creepy when it needed to be, and when the situation called for it, the writing was light and comical. I was never tempted to reach for my phone while I watched. It was a constant stream of action and plot and it never strayed into unnecessary territory. It focused on Will’s disappearance and those affected by it. It stuck with the story with the right speed, so the viewer is never bored.

However, the only issue I had with the writing was at some times Chief Hopper’s (David Harbour) lines seemed forced. It was as if he was trying to be overly-macho and tough, and then he turns around and is acted as a jaded and hurt father. That being said, there are so many characters worth talking about, such as Nancy (Natalia Dyer) and Joyce (Winona Ryder), that we would be here all night.

I assumed that Stranger Things would be filled with alien and sci-fi effects; however, most of the effects had to do with flashing lights. This was a smart move that definitely paid off. It was suspenseful and eerie whenever the lights started flashing and buzzing. The only issue was the monster goop that was stuck to the wall in the abandoned laboratory. This was reminiscent of a campy sci fi flick (think Power Rangers). Stranger Things should stick to minimalistic, suspenseful effects as it moves forward.

Stranger Things is one of the best shows available right now. It satisfies the nostalgic mind and the horror fan without being cheesy or unnecessarily gory. The acting and the writing is done so well, and all that happens seems so natural.

The first season of Stranger Things is available for streaming on Netflix today.

About the Writer
Anna Sharpe, Staff Writer

Anna Sharpe is a senior at Summerville High School. This is her fourth year in Newspaper, and to be honest, she didn’t think she’d ever make it. She...