The Fall after High School

At the beginning of your most stressful and hardest year of high school, which is most likely your junior year, the constant talk and pushing of your status after high school can become overwhelming. There is more of a push to prepare for success in college, the military, or the workforce. In your senior year the influences from your childhood, multiple classes taken, and the help of your guidance counselor preparing you for the upcoming moment of confidently walking across the stage with the knowledge of what happens the Fall after high school.  

“Honestly, the military is just too constricting for me, and that’s why I didn’t do ‘ROTC’. I like expressing myself in ways I can’t do on that path,” replied by Daizjah Haynes in response to why she does not want to enter the military after school.

Some students are being forced to go to college by parents or their legal guardian, while others willing want to pursue more education in their career.

“My mother would slap me if I didn’t choose the path of going to college,” Diamond Davis stated aggressivley.

“My family on both sides has always been like you have two choices: military or college, because they’re stuck on the impression that you have to do that in order to be successful. I am aware that’s not true. I could start my own business with the right drive and money anybody can do that, but having knowledge places you ahead of your peers,” explained Daizjah Haynes.

“In my family no one went to college, so they’re putting a lot of pressure on me. I’ve decided to attend Trident Technical College for two years and transfer to University of South Carolina for four years to become a Registered Nurse,” answered Ashley Harvey.

Although, the most common choice is going to college. It’s definitely acceptable to choose a different path as in going to the military or straight into the workforce, if the plan of college is a failed attempt or not in your interested.

“I did engineering for all four years in high school. I plan on going into the engineering workforce ike Boeing, Bosch, or Cummings and they pay for college, so I can move up in my class of engineering and pay,” stated Jaheim Chavis.

“Well I guess I would start off small and open something like a bakery. I would do that because I love baking and I know people love sweets,” said Kev’ron Duberry.

The students that choose the military path want to attend college after or during the military.

“I’m going into the Army National Guard and shipping out on June 06 for two months. Once I’m back from basic training I plan on going to college,” said Genesis Geddis.

“I’m going to the Air Force for the better career choices and I know it’ll be a lot of fun,” said Kev’ron Duberry

The Fall after high school is slowly approaching many seniors at Summerville High School and some of these seniors already planned everything and prepared to pursue a career in the workforce, attending college for better credentials, and to serve our country in one of the seven branches of the military.  

About the Contributors
Diamond Green, Staff Writer

Diamond is a senior, and new member of the Wave Breaker staff. Apart from newspaper, she has been in NJROTC for three years and entering her fourth. She...

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editor-in-chiefs of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...