“Avengers Infinity War” review

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!

“Avengers: Infinity War” is the latest installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s slew of blockbuster hits. The first “Avengers” movie, which was released in 2012, was a major hit among fans as it introduced the concept of the superhero team-up movie rather than a standalone film that focuses on one character. “Infinity War”, however, was even more ambitious as it brought together two different heroic teams (The Avengers and The Guardians of the Galaxy) and three heroes from solo movies (Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, and Black Panther) along with several well-known accomplices of these characters such as Loki, Bucky Barnes, Okoye and more.

With this incredible lineup, it’s easy to see why so many people were excited about this film’s release on April 27, 2018. The movie took in around $630 million worldwide in its opening weekend, and filled enough domestic theaters with anxious fans to surpass “The Force Awakens” in earnings.

The film is directed by established Marvel directors Joe and Anthony Russo, who also directed “Captain America: The Winter Soldier”, “Ant-Man”, “Captain America: Civil War” and will direct the future fourth “Avengers” film.

The past two “Avengers” films were directed by Joss Whedon, and his removal is a welcome change for many Marvel fans, as his interpretation of “Age of Ultron” outraged many viewers.

The 2015 second “Avengers” film showcased several problems, including the controversial pairing of Black Widow and the Hulk.

Back to “Infinity War”, this movie is taking the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a good direction. Where the “Infinity War” leads Marvel fans down a cinematic yellow brick road, “Age of Ultron” essentially dragged them to the Wicked Witch of the West.

Having to face the most powerful villain that has been featured so far in Marvel movies, an immense amount of pressure is put on these beloved superheroes as they are forced to make more difficult challenges in this new film than ever before.

Thanos is an immediate danger to the universe as a whole, and his atrocious actions force characters to choose between personal interests and that of the universe.

Loki is the first character in the film to face this sort of decision when he is asked to choose between saving Thor and giving Thanos the Tesseract, which contains the space stone. At first, the god of mischief reacts with a smug smile as he chooses to keep the Tesseract and tells Thanos to “kill away”.

When actually made to watch Thor scream in pain, however, Loki relents and gives up the space stone. This is an interesting decision to see the adopted son of Odin make, as the complicated relationship between Thor and Loki as brothers is at the forefront of many Marvel films.

It seems that, in the end, Loki truly does care about Thor, and chooses to protect him over withholding the space stone from Thanos. Unfortunately Loki’s final show that he is indeed more of a good character than an evil one does not amount to much, as shortly after he gives over the Tesseract, he is killed by Thanos. It doesn’t seem very likely that Loki will be brought back to life yet again, but to the comfort of his fans he was at least redeemed in the end.

Both Peter Quill (Star-Lord) and Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch) are forced to make the decision to kill the love of their life in order to try to stop Thanos.

Quill has had a long-standing romance with Gamora, the adopted daughter of Thanos, since the first “Guardians of the Galaxy” film. In an emotional scene, she forces him to promise to kill her if Thanos takes her, which does indeed happen.

Peter and Gamora confess their love for each other for what seems like one last time before Peter shoots her, but Thanos manipulates the gun using the reality stone and makes it so Peter’s gun only shoots bubbles. Although Gamora was at least safe for the moment, this was definitely an anxiety-inducing scene for movie-goers.

This brief preservation of Gamora’s life makes her real death later in the movie even more heartbreaking. Not only is Thanos shown to truly care about his adopted child, as his love for her forces him to sacrifice her, but Peter is not present at the time of Gamora’s death, leading him to find out later that his hope of saving her will never be fulfilled.

Star-Lord is so overcome by his grief that he thwarts a plan to take the Infinity Gauntlet (Thanos’ glove that holds the infinity stones). Although technically Quill can be blamed for all further events in the movie, the impulsive behavior caused by his immense grief is not surprising given his character. He has acted impulsively before, such as when he repeatedly shoots Ego at the end of “Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2” when it is discovered that Ego caused the death of Peter’s mother. Usually Quill’s spontaneity works out to his benefit, but his emotional attack on Thanos causes the plot against the villain to fail.

Scarlet Witch is also put in a position where she has to either kill the one she loves or inadvertently put the universe in danger.  Although every attempt is made to keep Vision, who holds the mind stone, alive, in the end there is no other choice but for Scarlet Witch to kill Vision, or for her to watch Thanos do it.

Maximoff does indeed use her telekinetic powers to destroy the mind stone before Thanos reaches it, but unfortunately Star-Lord’s mistake of preventing Thanos’ Infinity Gauntlet from being taken from him lead to Thanos getting the time stone from Dr. Strange. Thanos then uses the time stone to reverse the mind stone being destroyed so he can then take it, killing Vision in the process. Ultimately, Wanda Maximoff has to watch the love of her life die twice.

To those who may be confused as to why Dr. Strange gave up the time stone when he had sworn to protect it over all else, he is pushed to make this decision in order to save Tony Stark’s life.

This decision, made after Strange stated he viewed every possible outcome of facing Thanos and that there was only one out of 14,000,605 in which Thanos was defeated, could mean that the only reality in which Thanos could lose is one with Tony Stark in it.

To keep Tony Stark prominently in the plot all the way to the end is a smart decision by Marvel if this theory is correct, seeing as the Marvel Cinematic Universe did essentially begin with Iron-Man. He is somewhat of a father-figure in the universe (especially to Spider-Man, making Peter’s eventual death that much worse) and should play an important role in the defeat of the most powerful villain faced so far.

By the final few minutes of the movie, Thanos has acquired every Infinity Stone needed: the mind stone, the soul stone, the power stone, the space stone, the reality stone, and the time stone, although he began the movie with just one of them.

The film does a good job of keeping the audience in suspense as they wonder if Thanos truly will achieve his goal of getting all six of the infinity stones. Of course, this happens in the comics, but Marvel movies do not always adhere strictly to comic book plotlines, as seen when Captain America survives the events of “Civil War”.

“There were multiple instances in which you expected what was happening, but didn’t want it to happen, overall it was an awesome movie,” stated senior Caleb Christmas on his experience watching “Avengers: Infinity War”.

No one goes into watching a superhero movie wanting the villain to win, and “Infinity War” really upheld a sense of hope up until just about the last second that the heroes would prevail, but unfortunately that was not the case.

Despite the fact that Thanos was gaining power incrementally throughout the film by obtaining the infinity stones one by one, the audience continued to hope for his defeat as it seemed the heroes were making progress as well. The continual portrayal of the protagonists’ struggle against Thanos as neck-and-neck really keeps the audience on their toes, making it so there isn’t even a second of the film that can be viewed as boring or too drawn-out.

When Thor finally faces Thanos with his new “Thanos-killing” weapon, it truly is a surprise that the god of thunder is unsuccessful. Thanos’ plan to kill half the universe with a snap of his fingers works, leaving the audience in a state of shock.

Along with making sure the film is entirely action-packed, the Russo Brothers also flawlessly stitched together the multitude of different filming styles of the various Marvel films brought together in “Infinity War”. The Guardians of the Galaxy are introduced with a colorful scene backed by the 1976 hit “Rubberband Man”, and the theme for multiple characters such as Captain America and Black Panther plays with just enough time before they are shown on screen for the audience to feel the anticipation of seeing these fan-favorite characters.

The characters all seemed accurately represented, in well-managed accordance to their previous appearances, which can be difficult when handling so many different characters from different parts of the Marvel universe.

“Infinity War” also perfectly balanced both drama and comedy.

Famously comedic characters like Drax from “Guardians of the Galaxy” had numerous humorous moments in the film.

One of which involved when Star-Lord has to promise to kill Gamora when necessary, and seals this deal with a passionate kiss. The camera then pans to Drax, who is loudly eating a few feet away from them and claims to have been watching them for an hour.

Another scene that upholds previous comedic trends used in Marvel movies is the continuation of Captain America’s adorable somewhat-cluelessness when he responds to “I am Groot” with a sincere introduction of “I am Steve Rogers”.

Of course there are also references to Rocket Raccoon’s proclivity to take prosthetic body parts, as he gives Thor a glass eye he stole and warns the Winter Soldier that he will steal his prosthetic arm.

Obviously these moments of comedic relief are accompanied by those of intense emotion. There are a total of 16 major character deaths in the film including the two in the after-credits scene, each one heart-wrenching in its own way from when Okoye screamed over the loss of Black Panther to when Tony Stark held a dying Peter Parker in his arms. Peter Parker is speculated to be the only character who felt his death coming, with the aid of his spidey-senses, which leads Peter to panic and beg Iron-Man to help him. When it eventually becomes evident that he can’t be helped, Parker apologizes to Stark before disintegrating completely.

It’s unclear what will happen to the characters who remained alive after the encounter with Thanos, or if the characters who died will stay deceased.

Despite the intense amount of emotional turmoil that “Infinity War” caused, it is a well-loved new member to the family of Marvel films and will continue to make audience members weep for the remainder of its time in theaters.

About the Writer
Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editor-in-chiefs of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...