Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Trailer Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

The first official teaser trailer for the second installment of the Fantastic Beasts, “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”, series dropped on March 13, 2018. The trailer opened with a shot of the Hogwarts grounds as music swells, but the music quickly changes to a faster, more intense tempo when wizards are seen apparating (for those of us who haven’t memorized our wizarding vocabulary words, apparition is like teleportation) into the entrance of the school.

This group of wizards is seen speaking to a man, who they initially refer to as merely “Professor”, about Newt Scamander. It is stated here that Newt is heading to Paris: the setting for this next film.

As most avid Harry Potter fans could probably tell from the short clip showing the deluminator (a magical object that can both take away and restore light) that he famously wields in the original series, the “Professor” being spoken to is none other than Dumbledore himself.

Dumbledore, played by Jude Law, dismisses the accusatory tone of those addressing him with an amused one.

“If you’d ever had the pleasure to teach him, you’d know Newt is not a great follower of orders,” the future headmaster of Hogwarts states with a chuckle.

Following the confrontation of Dumbledore, a montage of clips shows.

Tina Goldstein is seen, as is the lovably excitable Jacob Kowalski, then Credence alongside an unnamed Maledictus (played by Claudia Kim), interchanged with some very aesthetically pleasing shots of people floating in bubbles, a carriage being pulled by what appear to be thestrals (a skeletal horse-like animal in the Harry Potter universe), and Zoe Kravitz’s character: the mysterious Leta Lestrange. It has been speculated that Lestrange, the former romantic interest of Newt Scamander as stated in the first film, is now engaged to Newt’s brother.

The trailer moves on to explain that Newt Scamander must go against Grindelwald.

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”, the first film in this series, did not feature much of Scamander dueling. He was instead more of a mediator, trying to keep the peace as an obscurus throws the city of New York into chaos. He also sought to keep his friends and his creatures safe as they were pursued by the Magical Congress of the United States of America. Despite these problems, Scamander is not seen as an aggressive character and actually works to save the obscurial, which turns out to be the abused adoptive son of the radically-religious witch pursuer Mary Lou Barebone, Credence.

In the second film, however, it appears that fans will get to see more of Scamander dueling as he seems to have to go directly against Grindelwald here, with the aid of his beloved professor Albus Dumbledore.

With a cast of popular actors such as Kravitz, Ezra Miller (who recently starred as the Flash in the Justice League movie), Jude Law, Johnny Depp, and of course the leading actor Eddie Redmayne, there is a lot to look forward to with this movie.

Further trailers with more information are heavily anticipated by fans who wish to learn more about the plot of the upcoming movie, which will be released in November 2018.

About the Contributor
Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editor-in-chiefs of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...