“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2” and a heart of bleeding gold: a movie review

Licensed for individual reuse

Licensed for individual reuse

I’ll admit it, I’m a snob. I’m an unabashed movie snob. I predict plot lines and criticize dialogue and pinpoint even the smallest of holes, and get this, I thought Moana was subpar at best, music included. You hate me already.

But maybe this will redeem my image in your eyes; this past weekend, I had the privilege of seeing the very latest multi-million dollar commercial superhero blockbuster crafted entirely to entertain the drooling masses and further intensify the financial might of a corporate film empire, practically the McDonald’s of movies.

Yes, I saw “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2.”

And I loved every second of it.

I won’t have to give a plot summary; I’m fairly certain that within the next month, if it even takes that long, every single American will have seen this movie at least once. Instead, I’ll explain to you why the second installment of Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” series has now and forever earned a special place in my blackened, movie snob heart.

Really, the defining reason why I liked “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2” so much, was because of the emotional depth of the overall theme, that being family. The overarching focus on family and familial love as the reason for being and persisting was not only meticulously executed, but was an element personally familiar to the audience, therefore emotionally relatable on perhaps the deepest level possible. I make this point in particular reference to not only the band of guardians as a whole, but the specific relationship between Peter and Yondu. That complex father-son bond is so rarely portrayed in a clear manner, much less in a high-action outer space spectacle like this. I could say the same for the strained but longing sister relationship between Gamora and Nebula. And even beside these specific ties, the pure commitment of the Guardians to protect one another in the misfit-family style is a tear-jerker in itself.

One large reason why I tend to dislike most movies, is that it is not often that a movie does a knock-out job of embedding the personal and intricately complex connections between people of the real world, onto the fictional screen. I like to see strife and struggle and understanding and love all expressed in movies, because nothing is better at pulling people into the world of the film than the emotionally familiar. Creating characters and relationships the public can relate to. Sympathy and familiarity in the strange and distant are the keys to the superior movie. In this respect, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2” delivers in a way that is both comforting and refreshing.

And so it truly is a movie for the family. That’s the beauty of it. Not the hallucinogenic color and light sequences or the nostalgic soundtrack, those are only accompaniments to it’s prize-winning heart of bleeding gold.

Enjoy the show.