“Siege and Storm”

Haunting across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret, but she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

This was a solid sequel filled with so much action, character development, romance, snarky responses, hope, creepiness, and darkness.

I wasn’t expecting a lot of the twists and turns that happened at the beginning of the book, as well as at the ending. I thought the way the plot progressed I would’ve been able to see more foreshadowing, but a lot of it was a surprise to me, which I enjoyed

I thought that the action sequence at the beginning with the Darkling and Alina, Mal, and Sturmhond’s crew was very tense, but at the same time I was curious because there was something about what was happening that had me questioning the motives of several people.

The action sequence then progressed into an escape, political calculations, angst, and more unhappy darkness in the end.

Honestly, I felt Alina was starting to really grow more as a character and trying her best to hone her skills as the Sun Summoner and not let her powers or her amplifiers control her.

I find it interesting how she has those glimpses of darkness within her and only at the end does she realize that it’s because a part of the Darkling became a part of her when he claimed her with Morozova’s stag antlers.

I wished she had spoken her mind and made more mistakes and slips when in the political settings because I felt she was becoming a very bland person in those situations.

Outside of those situations, Alina still didn’t seem to know what to do, but I think she just had a better understanding of where she belonged in that moment.
Mal was kind of a little overprotective in this book, in my opinion, but I could understand and see where he was coming from. He was frustrated that he doesn’t understand Alina and what she desires, but also he felt trapped like an animal.

I didn’t appreciate when he pulled himself so far away from Alina and just went in a small downward spiral. He had a lot of control up to that point, and I understand that their relationship got complicated, but I don’t know why he didn’t try to talk it out with her and vice versa.

The action sequences and the descriptions of the creatures in the book were amazing. I think these were some of the strongest points of the novel because they were all very vivid and fast paced.

I loved thinking up the world in my mind, about Sturmhond’s flying ship, the lands, and everything in between.

I think that there’s some sort of dark secret behind the creatures that live in the Fold and I hope to learn more about it in the final book.

I definitely enjoyed this book more than the firs,t and I feel that the plot is only going to thicken more now that Alina and the others are in the situation they’re in.