Hidden Figures

Licensed for individual reuse

Licensed for individual reuse

Directed by Theodore Melfi the movie Hidden Figures was released on December 25, 2016. The movie follows three African-American women employed by NASA who worked behind the scenes of the launching of astronaut John Glenn.

Glenn was a famous NASA astronaut who was successfully launched into space, but without the help of the three African-American women, his launch would have fallen short. Through harsh working conditions, racial discrimination, and doubtful opinions they never gave up and worked to the best of their ability.

The movie depicts Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughn, and Mary Jackson in their daily struggles in and outside of the workplace. It captured their journey through their problems in the workplace.

Some believe it is unfair that their stories are just now being told. It seems they have been put on the back burner for almost 40 years getting no recognition for their accomplishments because their race and gender.

The discrimination of African-Americans throughout the 1900’s was not uncommon. In fact, due to segregation and discrimination, they were forced to work in separate buildings from the whites where the working conditions varied immensely.

A scene in the film depicts a specific situation in which Katherine Johnson, played by Taraji P. Henson, describes her struggle to her boss who asked why she was consistently late. She talks about how she has to go to the bathroom every day and there is no bathroom for colored people so she has to walk four blocks just to relieve herself.

The scene is filled with emotion when Johnson goes on to talk about her other daily struggles she faces solely because of the color of her skin.

The film itself was nothing less than inspirational. The individual story of each woman was very empowering and left me wanting to know more. Throughout the storyline there were moments that provoked different emotions and I believe that is what drew me into every scene. It is a fantastic documentation of history and is recommended for any age.

Although overdue, the movie was a major success in the box office earning 21.8 million dollars in its opening weekend.