Pros and cons of an instant Ramen diet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pros and cons of an instant Ramen diet

Instant Ramen is a very popular food for teenagers and young adults with a budget. Even though instant Ramen can be very inexpensive, it’s not exactly the healthiest meal for someone constantly on the go.

Ramen is ridiculously high in sodium! A 2014 study conducted by Baylor University looked at over 10,000 South Koreans and found that people, especially women, who ate instant Ramen two or more times a week were more likely to have metabolic syndrome — that’s basically a list grouping risk factors such as high blood pressure and obesity that can ultimately lead to heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

At a crazy low cost, these packs are a wonderful quick and easy meal when you’re in a rush. Although, it’s been proven that long-term consumption of Ramen can put your health at extreme risks, an occasional bowl should be manageable, especially when paired with other smart food/snack choices.

You can also swap out part or all of the sodium-laden seasoning packet with real spices, fresh veggies, tofu, chicken, and other healthier ingredients, or make your own version from scratch with rice noodles and homemade broth.

Instant noodles also contain very high levels of Monosodium glutamate (MSG). It is a flavor enhancer, which does nothing to add to our health. Though glutamate is produced naturally in human bodies, any glutamate that is produced outside the body and used as food flavoring can cause learning disabilities, headaches, nausea, chest pains, and heart palpitations. The use of MSG is controversial, but pregnant women and children should certainly not consume it.

Though an occasional serving of instant noodles isn’t too harmful, the cons of eating instant noodles far outweigh the pros. A good practice whenever we might crave it and reach the shelf in the local grocery store is to remember that instant noodles are just flavors, so that we might limit our serving.

About the Writer
Payton Vaughn, Staff Writer

Payton Vaughn is a junior enjoying her second year in journalism and first year on the Wave Breaker staff at SHS. Payton enjoys photography, listening...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Pros and cons of an instant Ramen diet”

1. The Ramen Rater on November 6th, 2017 3:40 pm

It should be noted that the industry has noticed people having concerns about the points you make and is trying to address them. Many companies are making baked (not fried) noodles available. Sodium is able to be lowered with the use of potassium which is a vitamin found in bananas. I review instant noodles from around the world on my blog and sample about ten different varieties a week. Granted I only have a few bites of each usually. I also add garnishes that what one in the country of origin might add in. I’ve tried over 2,600 different Instant noodles and think they’re pretty amazing and fascinating.

2. Ronald Vincent on November 9th, 2017 2:34 am

People don’t know how a good diet should be.You need to eat fat burning food which are very important to lose weight, and surprise our metabolism from time to time to avoid metabolic adaptation.You need to have a good diet program not a boring and useless one.I have tried lots of diet like you but finally I have found very good diet.You should look at this article about fat burning recipes here.Hope, you will like this. It works very good for me right now. http://yourthreeweekdietplan.blogspot.com

• Pros and cons of an instant Ramen diet

Columns

A letter from the Editor

Columns

A list of things you should absolutely not do on Senior Skip Day (wink wink)

Columns

I’m not going to college straight out of high school, and that’s okay

Columns

LGBT in Hollywood

Columns

Dove’s new commercial is racist

Columns

How to beat back to school blues

Columns

How “Look What You Made Me Do” shoots shots at Kimye

Columns

Math as the existential factor

Columns

The Donoghue Dynasty: where is Wave TV now?

Columns

The Pursuit of Tex-Mex

Pros and cons of an instant Ramen diet