Letter to freshmen

Bobbie Jo Wimberly

Dear Freshmen,

Let me start off by saying that these next four years could possibly be the best or worst years of your life, but that depends on you. Do not try to rush through each day and each year just to graduate because you will miss out on so many amazing experiences. Go to all the home games for varsity football and just have fun in the student section, that is what it’s there for after all.

I know when you come to high school you think that the friends you come in with will be the ones you leave with, but sadly, or maybe gladly, things may happen and y’all may not be friends anymore. Trust me when I say that that you will befriend people you never thought you would in a million years, and they could become your best friend. You will make friends no matter what, unless you really try not to, so just be optimistic!

Relationships. High school relationships are never that serious, but maybe a slim 1%. I know when you are a freshman you start talking to a boy you think he is the greatest thing and will be different from all the rest because he is nice to you and tells you sweet things, but don’t be naive- they could very well have someone else nine times out of ten. Also, I know you are going to think you’re “in love” but don’t let that take control over your own self dignity. High school is here for you to have fun and find yourself, you do not need a boy or girl to make you happy: you can easily do that on your own.

If I had to pick the number one thing that is most important to remember in high school, it would be to never let your academics slip. High school is the stepping stone into life on your own. Within the next 4 years, you will begin to lay the foundation for the rest of your life, and do not let that foundation be failure. In the world we live in today it is vital to be educated men and women, so when you find the profession you want to be in run with it and do not let anyone or anything stop you.

Above everything just have fun and be yourself. Be optimistic when it comes to these next 4 years, you never know what might happen.

Sincerely,
Someone who wishes they knew this 3 years ago.