The age of feminism

A wave of feminism is sweeping the nation as more and more people join the cause, but what exactly is feminism.

Feminism: the advocacy of women’s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.”

It is important to know this definition on the account that people often falsely assume that feminists believe the female sex is stronger or better than the male, but that is far from true. Feminists believe in the equality, I repeat, equality of men and women opposed to the superiority of one or the other.

Women have been fighting for this equality since the time of the Women’s Rights Movement back in the 1800’s. Efforts have proved victorious in the passing of the Equal Rights Amendment in 1972, which guaranteed that equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex. So why is there still an issue?
If women are, by law, equal to men, then why does a woman make 79% of a man’s wages when they are working the exact same job? If females are equal to males then why is only 18% of congress female? If men are not to be considered superior to women then why are women still constantly dealing with the vicious, unintelligent stereotypes plastered across the female gender?

For so long, women have been pushed to the side and silenced when they try to speak out on the injustice to their gender.
Females have been told to just sit back and stay quiet as their rights are abused beyond belief, because it wouldn’t be “lady-like” to cause such an outburst. But not anymore. Feminists refuse to stay quiet in their determination to make women’s voices heard.

There is no logical, unbiased reason that women should be seen as socially, politically or economically inferior to men in any way, shape or form. This is the 21st century. America needs to stop living in the past and give women the equality and the voice they so rightfully deserve.