What the Pittsburgh Steelers need to do for more successful upcoming seasons

Back to Article
Back to Article

What the Pittsburgh Steelers need to do for more successful upcoming seasons.

Eve Katz

Eve Katz

Eve Katz

I’m a big Pittsburgh Steelers fan, but I know they need to make some tweaks in order to improve going into their oncoming seasons.

They definitely need to start with their quarterback. Ben Roethlisberger currently plays that position for the Steelers, but her is getting old and can hardly move. I know Tom Brady is getting old as well and he has 6 Super Bowl rings, but Big Ben needs to go. When he leaves, it will be a fresh start for the Steelers.

The Steelers drafted a young developmental quarterback in 2018 named Mason Rudolph (age 23). I think he can help the Steelers have a brighter future.

Second, I personally believe the receivers are doing well right now with JuJu Smith-Schuster, Ryan Switzer, James Washington, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and their number one receiver: Antonio Brown. Unfortunately, Brown has requested to be traded.The Steelers are definitely in a bad spot with their number one receiver up for trade, and a quarterback who is going to retire soon.

As much as I want Antonio Brown to keep being part of my favorite team, it’s not going to happen. It’s been a long and good nine years, he demands change and thinks its time to move on and go forward. The Steelers need to make sure that Smith-Schuster does a good job in Brown’s place, or else the team could fall apart.

The next thing I want to point out is: Le’von Bell is gone now, that leaves James Connor as his replacement. The Steelers need to stick with him and keep training all their running backs. They have a lot of potential there and they need to make it work.

The fourth thing the Steelers need to do to improve their team is a lot of scouting for their defense. They need to get a new defense of coordinator. The past three years, the Steelers have not been very good at all. There needs to be changes and that needs to happen fast.

Vince Williams and TJ Watt are a great combo on defense; they’re both leaders and Vince has six years of experience and TJ has two. I’m definitely expecting big things from those guys in the oncoming years!

The Steelers definitely need to improve their interceptions, as they had one of the lowest numbers of interceptions for the 2018 seasons (28th out of 32) with only 8 of them. The 2019 draft needs to be favoring the defense. This 2019 Draft is going to be huge for the them and if they are smart and have a plan.

Lastly, the Steelers coach staff has come a long way, but he still has plenty of room for improvement. I can’t wait for the next few years if they do some of these steps.

About the Contributors
Colby Shirey, Staff Writer

Colby Shirey is a freshman at SHS and this is his first year with The Wave Breaker. He plays varsity football and JV baseball for Summerville High School....

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editors-in-chief of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...