A big problem in the black community

Back to Article
Back to Article

A big problem in the black community

The black community faces problems within itself.

Eve Katz

Eve Katz

Eve Katz

The black community isn’t exactly known for their openness and acceptance. Their hypocrisy is seen as a trademark within their side of the POC (Person of Color) community. They tend to excuse the problems of men, but persecute women for nothing at all.

One of those with preferential treatment from the community is R. Kelly. The singer has countless allegations of mental, physical, and emotional abuse along with pedophilia against him. Though his actions are vile and horrifying, his legacy and career still live on. With the premier of the documentary Surviving R. Kelly, a docuseries that allows the victims of Kelly to speak out about his abusive behavior, his music sales surged 16%.

Meanwhile, black women are persecuted for anything and everything: their skin color, their body, their hair, and many more. For instance, Serena Williams is constantly shamed for her “man-like” body.

The constant shaming of women has underlying tones of deep-rooted misogyny that run rapidly throughout their society. No matter what we do, how perfect we are, how we look, we always end up the butt of some ugly joke.

If we focus on school rather than dating, we’re a prude. If we date, we’re “hoes”. If we date outside of our race, we hate black people. If we wear something scandalous, we’re asking for male attention. When we are harassed and assaulted, we are told “you were asking for it”.

When a young black girl dies, there’s silence.

It’s a never ending cycle that constantly drags women down.

On the male side, they’re praised for having sex. Praised for dating outside their race. Praised for being scholars. They sit upon a pedestal that claims they can do no wrong. When a young black boy dies, there is an outcry of “he was someone’s son” and rallies calling for justice. When they harass or assault it’s “boys will be boys”.

Black males constantly bring us down to the point where black women tear themselves and others down for the approval of males. All solidarity within communities of black women flies out the window as we body shame, and turn to skin color as a way to be superior, as lighter skin tones are often favored.

The fact of the matter is black lives do matter, but do all black lives matter? The answer is yes, but there’s a limitation to how much they matter to some people.

Even still, we fight. We fight for black women that were killed for saying no, black women that are called “monkeys” and “roaches” for being dark-skinned, black women that are constantly told their bodies are “manly” and will never be beautiful. We fight to know that we matter.

About the Contributors
Ava Butler, Staff Writer

Ava Butler is an always tired, AP student sophomore that lives off of memes and Fortnite dances. It is her second year on the Wave Breaker staff and she’s...

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editors-in-chief of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...

1 Comment

One Response to “A big problem in the black community”

1. Dennis on January 15th, 2019 9:12 am

I can sense the passion that was involved while writing this article. The subject here is prominent, but not prominent enough. I think there is a lot more to talk about here. More people need to be aware of the oppression of black women. Malcolm X once gave a speech explaining that the black woman is the most disrespected woman in America. Since that speech was given years ago, I would say the contempt of black women has only increased in America. This is a wonderful article, and I hope you continue shedding some light on this subject.

• A big problem in the black community

Opinion

Kat Von D “Underage Red” lip shade scandal and society’s dangerous “Lolita complex”

• A big problem in the black community

Opinion

Tell me “it’s a scary time for young men” again

• A big problem in the black community

Opinion

Should schools check water fountains to see if they’re filtered and safe?

• A big problem in the black community

Opinion

Why you shouldn’t appropriate culture this Halloween

• A big problem in the black community

Opinion

Banning Straws: A great change for the environment or just a band-aid on the human consciousness?

• A big problem in the black community

Opinion

Should police watch over homes during states of emergency?

• A big problem in the black community

Opinion

The over sexualization of teens in the media: as seen in Riverdale

• A big problem in the black community

Opinion

What has Kanye done?!

• A big problem in the black community

Columns

A letter from the Editor

• A big problem in the black community

Opinion

One last Oorah for the road

A big problem in the black community