Should schools check water fountains to see if they’re filtered and safe?

Schools have water fountains all over the building to make sure that students and teachers stay hydrated throughout the day. Although, should the staff members do regulated checks on these fountains to make sure they are safe to drink from?

“In Mecklenburg County, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools ran tests on drinking fountains at 58 schools last fall and found 27 had unacceptably high levels of lead,”  wrote The Charlotte Observer.

In schools, students and teachers should always stay hydrated, especially if they are doing something intense in PE or are outside for long periods of time and do not have access to bottled water. If the students had no access to a filtered water station, not only would they be dehydrated, but they could get sick from contaminated water or even worse. Schools could not afford students and teachers getting sick from possibly contaminated water in their fountains due to the fountains not being checked regularly.

“I think the school should do regular checks on the water fountains.” said Elijah Taylor, freshman at Summerville High School, “I would feel safer from viruses if the school did checks, and I would probably use a water fountain. I feel like the school is just doing a bad job at keeping us safe if they didn’t check.”

Other students at Summerville High School agree on this topic.

“I definitely think the schools should do checks on the water fountains,” said Mikala Kennedy, freshman at Summerville High School, “I would feel a whole lot better if they did checks. Plus, more money would be saved on vending machine water bottles.

“I think the water fountains aren’t checked now. I’ve seen videos where the water (not SHS’s water) was yellow and brown and it’s honestly disgusting,” Kennedy continued.

I think that schools should always do regular checks on the water fountains. Whenever I go to drink water from a fountain, I always think it may be dangerous because the fountain looks like it got beat up, the water tastes bad, and the fountain itself looks like it’s very dirty. Not to mention, the water bottle refill stations have filter lights and they are always on red, which means unfiltered, which increases my suspicion about the water filtering. Maybe if my school started doing regular checks, I would a lot safer when I drink water from the fountains.

If schools did regular checks on the safety of water fountains, the rates of possible contamination and sickness from the water would drop by a large number, and there would be much less fear of water, and would cut costs because students would not have to constantly pay for bottled water. Having no standards for water fountains is a large health hazard, and it could potentially close schools for a period of time. Schools doing these simple checks regularly would decrease these hazards, if not eliminate them and make schools a much safer, healthy place.

About the Contributors
Xander Norwood, Staff Writer

Alexander Norwood, also known as Xander, is a 14 year old Freshman at Summerville High School and in the Class of 2022. This year is Xander’s first year...

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editor-in-chiefs of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...