Some advice

Back to Article
Back to Article

Some advice

Speaking from experience, these years are hard. Even without thinking about the political climate and everything else going on. It’s stressful and anxiety inducing. These are the years where we start to discover who we are. What we love. Who we want to be. Who society expects us to be.

First: Throw societies expectations out of the window. Forget it. It’s hard too. I know better than most. But you can do it. It might not be now. Or tomorrow. Or even in a year. This, for most of us, will take the rest of our lives to do. But we will do it.

Second: Sit down. Take a second. What do you want to do? Don’t know? That’s okay. Don’t stress too much over it because it only makes it worse. Focus on something else in the meantime. Thinking about the big picture will distract you from how to get there. Narrow what you want or need to get done into smaller tasks. Something easier to accomplish so that when you look at that list you don’t feel dread.

Third: Know what you want to do? That’s great. Do it with everything you have. Live your dream. However, don’t forget to have fun. Today is the last day you will ever be this young. Take that to heart and do something you wouldn’t normally do.

Fourth: Don’t forget or push your family and friends out along the way. They will be the people that keep you steady. When things get to be too much, and they will, these people will be the ones that are there for you to hold you up. Cherise them. Make sure they know that they mean a lot to you.

Fifth: Guess what? It’s okay to make mistakes. Don’t ever to forget that. It is never the end of the world even if it feels like it. People aren’t perfect so put yourself on the pedestal and try to hold the mantle. You’ll break. Learn and grow from your mistakes. Don’t let them hold you back.

Sixth: Be kind. It’s that simple. The world has been hitting us with one tragedy after another. We need one another. Try to make someone’s day. Be that person who goes the mile to help someone who needs it.  It would do everyone good to be reminded that there is some good in the world.

Seventh: Take care of yourself. Make sure that you eat even if you don’t feel like it. Have you had water in the last hour? When was the last time you took a night for yourself? Work, friends, family, and responsibilities are important, but don’t run yourself dry. Even if its sleeping for five extra minutes in the morning, take it.

Finally: Look at yourself. Are you happy with where you are? No? Then rinse and repeat these steps. Get to where you want to be. Regardless of others. Regardless to your expectations of yourself of what you think you can and can’t do. When you were a kid you didn’t think you’d ever be able to read, but here you are. This is all about believing in yourself and taking that first step.

About the Writer
Alicia Zindars, Staff Writer

Alicia Zindars is a junior and this is her first year in Newspaper. She’s a major loser with a problem of saying whatever comes to her mind. If she offends...