I’m a 15 year old student, and my opinion matters

What if I told you that the government and politicians care about your opinion? Or what if I told you that even if they don’t, they should because high school students are their future voters and are now forming their own opinions more than ever?

As a 15 year old student witnessing horrific mass shootings on the news that make it seem like the headlines are repeating themselves over and over again, I started to feel neglected by my own school and government. Almost like they didn’t care about our nation’s safety. Watching too many innocent lives lost and to watch the government change absolutely nothing is more than infuriating, and I soon felt the need to do something.

I started small, trying to fix the problems in my own school. First I met with our principal, Mr. Farrell. We had great discussion about how important the student body’s ideas are so important, especially in today’s conditions.

He listened and responded with an open mind and addressed every single concern. But just as I expected, I soon learned how hard it is to get things done in a timely matter for a school district, even the smallest of changes, can be extremely difficult. That’s when I realized I needed to change my mindset from thinking small, to thinking big.

I needed more answers. I needed to hear more about not just what our school is doing, but instead hear about changes on a statewide and national level.School is definitely not the place or time for politics, so it was time for me to find that place and time to address our nation’s problems and what my student body’s opinion is.

Lucky enough, I had the privilege to meet and talk to Senator Tim Scott, a Republican with great ideas for reasonably adapting the gun laws. Within the span of sixty minutes,  I was able to bring up my ideas and hear the reality of what is going on in Washington

Sophie Shelborne
On Sunday, February 25th, Tim Scott met with Summerville High School to hear their opinions on how to move forward with student safety in schools.

Sadly, the truth is, there is not much happening right now. In order for a bills to be passed in the senate, you must have 60 votes to proceed when some senators want to continue the debate for forever, and this is the case for most gun law bills.

This is mostly because the ideas towards adapting gun laws are so controversial, and some Republicans choose not to vote for change due to their ties to the NRA. There are still a majority of Republican senators that are persuaded to vote against restricting gun laws because of their NRA affiliation. But, this does not mean it is impossible to change their mind.

For example, Marco Rubio, a Republican senator in Florida who receives thousands of dollars every year from this organization, has been confronted by the facts, opinions, and feelings of the students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Rubio has now announced this week that he is putting forth a new plan for gun laws and is supporting the students.

This just shows how much our voices matter. These students opinions pushed a conservative Republican with ties to an anti gun law organization to take action!

Our voice needs to be heard more than ever right now. The government should and will hear us out. Post your opinion to social media. Talk to your friends, you may change some minds every day. Want to think bigger? Reach out to a local representative and work your way higher.

Students, your voices are extremely important. There is no time like now. Make changes today and everyday. Your ideas can be and need to be heard in Washington.

We are the future of this country and now is the time for us to make this country better for the sake of our own futures.