Halloween safety

It is about that time of year. That time where kids will come knocking on your door asking for a sweet treat. Our parents always check our candy when we get home, but have you ever found anything unsavory in your basket?

Unfortunately, these fears our parents seem to never let go of have had reason in the past. Children have gotten lost trick-or-treating or found terrible things in their candy. That’s why I’m here to help you with some small tips to keep you or a child you know safe this halloween.

When out at parties one should always be careful, more so at Halloween parties! People will be wearing costumes so you won’t know who they are. This is why you should always stay with people you know and avoid socialize with strangers, you never know who you are talking to.

Children are not the best at paying attention. Sometimes children will be left unattended and might stray into the road, so be extra precautious when driving at night.

If you have a kid be sure to put reflective tape on their costume or trick-or-treat bag. You never know whose is paying attention or not, and this will ensure that they are visible to drivers at night.

Costumes are not the best quality material, even if you payed 50 dollars for it. Halloween is known as a night for staying up late and you never know what’s going to happen, but you should try to buy fire-resistant costumes if you can! There are tons of wires on the streets and not all of them are the best quality.

If you can’t buy a fire resistant costume then be sure to be careful of stray wires, campfires, jack-o-lanterns, and anything lit. You should also never ever cook in your costume, you might knock something over or set your costume on fire!

Most costumes are made of plastic and when burt can create dangerous fumes and can seriously burn you.

Some teenagers think it is fun to go and explore abandoned areas or areas that are off limits. This is not a good idea and you should refrain from doing so. You could fall from faulty structures or step on a rusty nail. Both could have deadly consequences.

And lastly, possibly the most widely know safety tip is to check candy. Anyone can go around and pass out candy and some people’s intentions may not be the purest.

Anything that’s already been opened should be thrown out. Any baked good shouldn’t be consumed, and if you are at a party, make sure you don’t eat any odd snacks or drinks.

Safety should always be your number one concern when it comes to Halloween, but it doesn’t have to ruin the fun or the thrill. Just be cautious and take care of yourself to ensure that you will be able to enjoy many Halloween nights to come.