Can comedians cross the line

Dontrell Whetsell

Can comedians cross the line? This question has been debated for many years. There are a lot of subjects that are seen as too racy to talk about, let alone be joked about. These are usually subjects like terrorist attacks, genocides, race, or sexual orientation, but this is also extended to the hazing of audience members.

The main reason people would say these topics are taboo is because it makes them feel uncomfortable. These are topics that hit a little too close to home for most people. The main problem with saying comedians can cross a line is that comedy shows are supposed to be laughed at.

People are going into comedy shows looking to be offended. Comedy is entertainment, mainly satirical, that is supposed to make you laugh. People should not take most things a comedian says to heart because they are just trying to make people laugh.

“There is no line comedians can cross because comedians don’t care. If you try to put a filter on them, they won’t care” said Glenn Brown, sophomore.

The problem is not comedians crossing a line, it’s audience members coming to comedy shows with their pitchforks ready for a riot. If you can’t go into a comedy show with an open mind then you shouldn’t watch it.

Another pet peeve of mine about comedy shows is jerks who try to hijack the show. If you are sitting in the first couple rows of a show, be on your best behavior.

You shouldn’t try to argue with the comedian because they crossed the line. You would not argue with the actors in a play because they offended you, so why do it to comedians?

Comedy is supposed to push the boundaries of what can and can’t be talked about in a public format. Just like most forms of entertainment, you have to pull the veil of realism back to truly appreciate it. You would not go to an action movie to complain about when the main character survives a hail of bullets without a scratch, so why go to a comedy show and complain when the comedian says something offensive.

If you don’t feel uncomfortable during a comedy show, then that comedian has failed at their job. Comedians have an important place in society because they can provide honest social commentary on any issue. They can attack the hypocrisies present in today’s society with sincere conviction.

I am not trying to say comedians are not being jerks sometimes. There are times they go after someone for no apparent reason, but what I am saying is that they should be allowed to be jerks. Comedy is one of the last great arts left untouched by filtering and political correctness.

That is why comedy is so funny because comedians say things that are supposed to stay as just thoughts. It is completely outrageous that they can say these things and they do not burst into flames or something. This is why people should just leave comedy alone.