Feminism: the warped view and the reality

Licensed for Individual Reuse

Feminism. What is it really? The majority of the media often portrays feminism in a warped context, as do people. They claim or give off the vibe that feminism is all about women, that it is about having the woman superior to the man. That women want higher rights than men. Basically, they portray and try to say that we are on the road to having men be the victims of oppression much like how women were just decades ago.

But here’s the thing. There’s two basic types of feminism. The legitimate feminist, who supports equal rights for men and women, and the radical feminist, who feels that women should be superior and acts as if they are.

Nowadays, people are afraid to admit they are a feminist due to the negative connotation the popular media has brought into the word. If you were to ask a group of college kids ten years ago who was a feminist among them, I guarantee almost, if not all of them would have raised a hand. If you ask that in today’s day and age, you may only get a handful because of the bad rap that has been paired with feminism. The word ‘feminist’ has almost become a curse word in today’s society due to the negative connotation the popular media has portrayed on the word and due to the fact people are not educating themselves on the difference of true feminism from radical.

I fully understand why men feel attacked over the radical feminist views out there, but the issue is that not enough people realize the difference between true and radical feminism. Radical feminism is not true feminism. It advocates superiority, and that’s not okay.

True feminists do not want to oppress men the way women were oppressed in the past. That is not the feminist way.

Personally I feel like feminism should get a new name. Feminism, true feminism, supports equal rights for both genders, not just females’ rights.

Feminism is definitely still needed, just not quite in the sense that it use to be. When feminism first started to get a wheel rolling in the last century it was all about getting women the right to vote, the right to work, the right to women’s health such as being allowed to have access to contraceptives and other basic human necessities. Today, however, the goal seems to be a little different.

In today’s feminism, the goals range anywhere from closing the wage gap (yes it still exists), ending sexist jokes, promoting equal treatment, allowing it to be acceptable for people to dress anyway they want, getting rid of schools’ sexist dress codes, and funding of planned parenthood, and all the way to possibly the most difficult goal, stopping rape culture.

The three most important goals of feminism are closing the wage gap, stopping rape culture, and most obviously attaining equal treatment of men and women.

There has been a lot of controversy over the wage gap. In the most recent study conducted by the Institute for Women’s Policy Research in 2014, women’s pay was 79 cents averagely to the dollar of an average man’s pay. The raw wage gap shows the average woman will earn 73.6%-77% of a man’s average earnings in her lifetime. Many believe that the wage gap doesn’t exist, and honestly I can understand why some may think that. Statistics are not the best way to argue over things. They can be used to benefit either and both sides of the argument depending on how you word yourself, but in this case, this is the only physical information we can go off of.

I know there are a lot of companies who do not succumb to this nor the wage gap itself, but that doesn’t change the fact that it still happens in many other places. There are plenty of places that are doing everything in their power to close this gap. Much like Iceland. Iceland declared on March 9, 2017, also known as international women’s day, that they have released a law at national level that declares that all companies that have twenty five or more employees have to show proof every three years that their pay is the same between genders. This is believed to be the first bill of its kind at national level. So congratulations go out to Iceland.

Rape culture. Do I even need to explain this one? Instead of teaching children not to rape, girls are being taught to watch how they dress, to not go out alone at night, and what to do if they fear they are about to be or are being, sexually assaulted. There are jokes made in video games such as “oh man I just raped those dudes over there” and “man I just got raped last round.” Of course these are supposed to be jokes, but to the people out there who are real life rapists these jokes serve as validation. They hear these jokes and think ‘oh they think it’s funny, so it’s okay’ and then they continue doing the horrible things they do.

Girls are told at such young ages to cover up their bodies so that boys won’t look at them in that way instead of telling the boys not to look at them that way for wearing a dress. For example, the school system’s dress code for girls. You hardly ever see males get pulled out of class for violating dress code. Girls on the other hand are being punished for this constantly. No shoulders, no short dresses, or skirts. No leggings, no low tops. And why? Mostly due to the fact it’s distracting to the male students and the male faculty, among other things.

If rape and sexual assault happen due to clothing choices, rape rates should double in the summer, but they don’t. It’s all about mindset and the way people are raised and educated.

There are so many reasons for feminism to still exist. If I were to try and list them all I would be writing a novel rather than an article. Luckily my goal here is to identify true feminism from radical.

People in every region of the world need to educate themselves on feminism and other social issues that we are faced with everyday. They need to learn to not always rely on the media’s portrayal, but rather look into and research things for themselves. The media is meant to just give information and let people decide for themselves how to process it; however, angles tend to warp how this information is shared.

Educate yourselves. Learn the difference between radical media portrayed feminism and true feminism. Form your own opinions.

1 Comment

One Response to “Feminism: the warped view and the reality”

1. William J Velthoven on March 18th, 2017 7:40 pm

A very well written article Jade. I enjoyed the factual points you made about the gender pay gap. The deferential, fundamental difference​ between true feminism, and radical feminism was spot on.

This Wes a truly enjoyable, and educational article to read. I agreed with many if of your points, and the points I didn’t agree with, left me with a sense of ‘ agreeing to disagree’ rather than a confrontational feeling.

Great Job! Left even this old guy with a different perspective on this issue.

Keep up the great work.

[Reply]

• Feminism: the warped view and the reality

Opinion

What your summer will probably look like: a narrative

Opinion

Senior picnic splendor

Opinion

Life is moving fast; today is already in the past

Opinion

Can comedians cross the line

Opinion

Build it over buy it

Opinion

Raising awareness for suicide prevention

Opinion

An introvert’s guide to spring break 2017

Opinion

Casualties

Columns

Math as the existential factor

Opinion

SHS students react to the possibility of new dress code