Band Director Mr. Gilreath wins Band Master’s Award

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Gilreath leads his symphonic band
class on March 21, 2019. He was awarded the Band Master's Award the previous weekend.

Mr. Gilreath leads his symphonic band class on March 21, 2019. He was awarded the Band Master's Award the previous weekend.

Mason Baird

Mason Baird

Mason Baird

Recently, the band director of SHS, Mr. Gilreath won the Band Master’s award, and it is a very prestigious achievement.

The Band Master’s award is one that is given to a band director who is one of the best in the state. This is a very impressive achievement because it shows that the band director is a very talented, motivated, inspired, and determined person.

Mr. Gilreath is a band director that falls into all of these categories.

“It is a huge honor to receive this award because I received it in a room full of people who are like my mentors,” said Mr. Gilreath.

One thing that a band director always has is the motivation to keep directing their band. Every band has some qualities that always motivates the director and keeps the band moving.

“Making music with the students is the main source of my motivation to keep teaching the band,” said Mr. Gilreath.

In general, teachers and musicians alike all have their own source of inspiration, whether it be one of their peers, a composer, someone they have looked up to for a long time, or a treasured object they have. Mr. Gilreath’s inspiration is based on his band’s preparation and skills.

“My inspiration is that I want to make sure that the students have access and exposure to the great pieces of literature in the Concert Band repertoire, and we select the one based on what I think their abilities are and how that matches piece to piece,” stated Mr. Gilreath.

The Band Master’s award is not just based on the director, but it is based on how they guide the students. When a band director gets the award, they represent their school and band in a multitude of ways.

“I think any award like the Band Master’s award reflects positively on our school, community, and band program as a whole,” said Mr. Gilreath.

Band directors don’t direct a band out of obligation or if they are forced. They direct the band because they have a passion for it and because they like it. Band directors always have one thing that they will always love about their band and directing a band in general.

“My favorite part of the band is seeing the student’s reactions when they finally achieve something that they haven’t been able to do and that they have been striving for for a long time,” said Mr. Gilreath.

Throughout many years of teaching, band directors learn a lot through other people, their students, and their own experience as a whole. The knowledge that they have is one of the many factors that makes them eligible for a honorable award like the Band Master’s award. Whenever a band director receives this award, it shows that they are a very talented person. Mr. Gilreath falls into this category, as well as many others, and it shows how much of a talented, determined, motivated, and inspired director and composer he is.

About the Contributors
Xander Norwood, Staff Writer

Alexander Norwood, also known as Xander, is a 14 year old Freshman at Summerville High School and in the Class of 2022. This year is Xander’s first year...

Mason Baird, Staff Writer

Mason Baird is a first year staff member on the Wave Breaker publication. He is 15 years old, and an active sophomore at Summerville, and is on the football...