Mrs. Somerville awarded Teacher of the Year 2018-2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mrs. Somerville in her classroom.

Mrs. Somerville in her classroom.

Xander Norwood

Mrs. Somerville in her classroom.

Xander Norwood

Xander Norwood

Mrs. Somerville in her classroom.

Around this time every year, the votes for Teacher of the Year are counted, and a winner is chosen. This year, Mrs. Somerville has been awarded the coveted title.

Mrs. Somerville has been teaching at Summerville High School for 15 years, and she currently teaches English 2 and Teacher Cadets. She also used to teach English 1, English 4, English 5, Introduction to Journalism and Newspaper 1 through 4 at Summerville.

“I feel very humbled and honored to receive Teacher of the Year because I work with amazing teachers and believe that all of them deserve Teacher of the Year,” said Mrs. Somerville.

Throughout the past 15 years of her career, Mrs. Somerville has learned many valuable life lessons.

“I’ve learned that it’s really all about the kids,” siad Somerville, “That we are here to help, support, love and teach children, and to counsel them when they need counseling. Teaching is a lot of fun when you have the right attitude.”

Teachers often become role models for their students. Respect and an inspiring attitude are some of the many traits that a teacher awarded Teacher of the Year must have.

“I think that some of my students think of me like a mom, to come get their hugs and that sort of thing,” said Somerville, “I hope that they see me as a role model.”

Students feel that whenever a teacher does something well, it makes it memorable to them.

“What makes Mrs. Somerville’s teachings memorable is how she uses the exact system that challenges me. My favorite thing about her teaching is her book of the month system,” said Mikala Kennedy, a freshman.

Another student has a much larger thought on the way Mrs. Somerville teaches.

“I like how she tries to connect English with other subjects. In doing this, it shows how everything is connected and it helps us learn how to interpret your thoughts on paper, which is a necessity for a wide range of subjects,” said Eliza Blackwell, a freshman, “What makes her teaching memorable is how she addresses the subject while she’s teaching it. Her style makes it easy for kids to connect and learn so this has a lasting impact overall.”

One thing that a teacher needs is the motivation to keep teaching their students.

“What keeps me motivated is that I love coming to work everyday and I am very passionate about what I am doing. Creating lessons has to be my favorite part of teaching,” said Mrs. Somerville.

All teachers have expectations for each and every one of their students, and Mrs. Somerville has many expectations from them.

“My greatest expectation from my students is that they are engaged in the activity and that they do their best at it,” said Mrs. Somerville.

Expectations for their teachers is one thing that every student has, and Mrs. Somerville’s students are no exception.

“Kids learn and remember more when they are doing something fun. People remember the fun activities,” said Blackwell.

Every teacher has something that inspires them: whether it is a person, a coworker, a past experience, or their own personal hobbies.

“I love literature and I really enjoy teenagers, and I figured that if you put the two together you get a really fun job,” said Mrs. Somerville.

Teacher of the Year is a very special award for schools, and the teachers that receive it every year are very exceptional people. These teachers are well respected by staff and students, and many students look up to them and gain lots of inspiration and motivation from them.

About the Contributor
Xander Norwood, Staff Writer

Alexander Norwood, also known as Xander, is a 14 year old Freshman at Summerville High School and in the Class of 2022. This year is Xander’s first year...

1 Comment

One Response to “Mrs. Somerville awarded Teacher of the Year 2018-2019”

1. Debby Somerville on February 13th, 2019 5:17 am

Thank you Xander, for this wonderful article. I really appreciate all you and the Wave Breaker staff do to spread the good news at SHS.

• Mrs. Somerville awarded Teacher of the Year 2018-2019

News

Scouts BSA now accepts female members

News

Band Director Mr. Gilreath wins Band Master’s Award

News

Summerville High School to host Caribbean Night

News

The Representation of Schools at the Region Band Clinic

News

Raise for Rasner

News

“Rally for Education Reform” draws mixed reactions, emotional testimonies

News

New teen services librarian at the Dorchester County Library

News

Summerville High School creates signing day for all seniors

News

Summerville High School band members prepare for All-State

News

Hollywood actors crave female leadership