Summerville High School creates signing day for all seniors

Back to Article
Back to Article

College option display in Summerville High School.

Antonio Venegas

Antonio Venegas

Antonio Venegas

Summerville High School has always had a small “signing day” for seniors; however,as of the 2018-2019 school year, the school has widened the horizons for all seniors to let others know about their college decisions. Sumerville is now hosting monthly signing days for all seniors who have gotten their acceptance letters and decided where they are going to go after they graduate.

This event is very different from the sports signing days, where student athletes publically sign a commitment contract to the school where they collegiate level sports in the fall.  These commitments are not technically binding, but signing days are meant to honor the student athletes and their future decisions, just like the signing days for all seniors are meant to honor their plans for the future, whatever they may be.

Every month or so, Ms. Maza, a guidance counselor at Summerville, has a group of seniors come to the front hallway during second period so that they can get their “signing cards” and officially decide on to the college, university, job, or branch of the military they will go to after they graduate.

“We want to promote a college-and-career-going culture at Summerville High School, and have it not just be about the seniors, but share it with the school,” stated Ms.Maza on why they have started having more open signing days for all of the seniors that wish to share their decision with the school.

This event started last year as a senior decision day assembly. Each senior student who had a confirmed acceptance letter got to have a “spotlight moment”. However, Ms. Maza wanted to share it with the whole school. At first a whole school assembly was going to be the solution, but upon further research she found pictures of wall displays of student decorated cards depicting where they will be attending after school.

While Ms. Maza really loved how this idea looked, Summerville currently has 716 seniors which made it hard to find the idea feasible. While most seniors decide on four year colleges, there are many others are taking different, and just as valid, paths after they graduate. She has tried to incorporate everyone, eventually deciding to ask Mr. Farrell for the wall in the front hallway where she created the collage that is there now.

“Because we can not do one big signing day where everyone gets a card ,because of the amount of seniors, I figured we could hold individual singing days with 20 to 40 seniors at each to space it out, but also let seniors have a moment to shine,” explained Ms. Maza, “Every month during second period on Fridays, we will have a day where seniors who are interested can get a card and sign it and make it pretty and put it up on the wall. This way, students can get their moment and we can be more inclusive.”

She began this mission because she wants the students to know that there is so much more to do after graduation than people realize; she wants to show the school, especially the underclassmen, what one can do after high school. It is never too soon to start thinking about the future.

Students can get involved by going to guidance with their acceptance letter for the place they are going, though students are encouraged to bring all letters, not just ones from where they will be attending. There they get a “card” and fill it out how they would like so it can be displayed in the front hallway of the school. There will be another signing day held in February, but Ms. Maza said that if need be, more than one will be held each month.

About the Contributors
Olivia Plymel, Staff Writer

Listen up here chiefs, Olivia Plymel is a sophomore in the class of 2021 at Summerville High School. She likes books more than most people, she is in...

Antonio Venegas, Staff Writer

Antonio Venegas is the funniest person on the Wave Breaker. He gets hate from being from Ohio because Ohio State is the best team. He is the apprentice...