Summerville ‘s Orienteering team goes to Vasquez Rocks Regional Park

Back to Article
Back to Article

Summerville High Schoo's ROTC Orienteering team.

Captain Hupp

Captain Hupp

Captain Hupp

Summerville Navy Junior ROTC Orienteering team competed on January 12, at the Navy Junior ROTC Area Six Championships, located at Kings Mountain State Park, along with fourteen other high schools from North Carolina and South Carolina competed.

“It was a feeling we never felt before, especially for our championship, because it’s been years since we’ve been here or Captain been here that we’ve gotten second place or third or fourth, so it was pretty wild,” Isabel Diaz, a junior at Summerville High School, said.

Summerville placed second out of fourteen teams and have been invited to compete in the  Navy Junior ROTC Orienteering Nationals, that will be held at Vazquez Rocks Regional Park in Agua Dulce, California on February 15 through 17.

“We never ran in California before, but we’ll probably have a chance to place higher than we did two years ago, because we placed ninth, Diaz explained, “Last year we placed third in Area Six, so we’ll probably move up two positions and place sixth.”

Orienteering is a competitive sport that involves using your navigational skills with a map and a compass; participants are required to find their way to various checkpoints. The winner will have the lowest elapsed time on the course.

“A lot of compass-reading, reading maps, and using contour and map features and the compass direct you precisely to which direction you wanna go, instead of rough map reading,” said Diaz.

There is three courses at an Orienteering meet, and they are broken up into four different colors for a particular group’s ability to complete in the course. Green is likely called “Varsity” for boys and you receive the most points in a particular course. Brown is “Varsity” for girls. Orange is called “Junior Varsity” and Yellow is called “B-Team.”

“We run miles and miles, especially if you get lost,” said Halie Scofield, a senior.

Preparing for an Orienteering meet is stressful; you need to practice a lot in a short amount of time to fix errors and become better by stretching, doing long runs and sprints.

“It’s a lot of fun, and the workouts are good as well,” said  Grayson Ridge, a junior.

The Orienteering team plans to focus on making their “Junior Varsity” division better, hoping to improve their  endurance and ability to stay motivated and keep going without losing their breath.

Summerville’s Orienteering team has similar techniques that most teams used, such as endurance, compass-reading, and map-reading. They also have their own tactics that they believe is beneficial for them to win is stretching and begin prepared when time starts.

Every team has a foundation that keeps the team together and motivates them to try their best. Every team member has a key purpose on the team, that is different from everyone else.

“Master Chief was a key part in why we’re good, because we had Master Chief, but the foundation of OT is we’re a family,” Scofield stated.

Members on a team tend to have a reason to feel like they belong on that team, or something to bring to the team that they don’t have already.

“I feel like I belong on the Orienteering team because I come to practice everyday and I do well at the meets.,” said Warren Peele, a junior.

Students on the Orienteering team learn many different skills throughout the year, such as how to read a map using a compass, teamwork, accepting defeat and dealing with drama and people.

On a normal meet, you’ll get off the bus and stretch, eat a light snack, prepare for your particular course, and find out what your start time will be. After everyone finishes running their course, the times are evaluated, leading to the awards.

“Each person has their own start time and as you get closer to your start time you get close to the line to go, then you get sent off to run your course and you come back,” explained junior Justin Morasco.

Our Summerville’s Orienteering team is confident in winning, but being humble and preparing is a big focus for the weeks ahead.

About the Writer
Diamond Green, Staff Writer

Diamond is a senior, and new member of the Wave Breaker staff. Apart from newspaper, she has been in NJROTC for three years and entering her fourth. She...