National recognition of Beta club

Back to Article
Back to Article

National recognition of Beta club

Beta club took a group picture including all of their members.

Mrs. Morgan

Mrs. Morgan

Mrs. Morgan

Summerville High’s Beta club was nationally recognized because of their increased membership and their work in the community.

“Beta club is a leadership organization, students have to have a GPA of 3.0 or higher to join and it’s weighted,” said Morgan.

If students have all B’s in CP classes, or if you have C’s in AP/Honors classes, they should be eligible. They still have to try to keep those grades up. It’s likely that they will be kicked out if their grades slip and they don’t pick them up. It’s an honor to be in Beta club, so low grades are unacceptable.

“[Members] have to complete 20 service hours a semester, so they have 40 hours a year,” said Morgan.

Students have to be dedicated to Beta club to continue being a member. This is a club that is particularly involved in the community, so all members should be too.

“We also are one of the main organizations that helps with Summerville’s Relay for Life, so we will do a little bit before the event, but the day of the event we are working the whole day,” said Morgan.

The Beta club members work hard to make sure they can support the American Cancer Society through Relay For Life.

“We also go to conventions in the spring where students can compete in academic competitions and hear from speakers about what it is to be a leader,” said Morgan, “Beta club is about service and good grades but it’s also about being a leader.”

Beta club is a good opportunity for students to pick up good life skills and prepare for the real world. It is an excellent experience and will help students become more responsible.

“Right now we have 60 members, which has grown tremendously from last year because last year I think we had 25,” Morgan explained, “We get a lot of freshman and sophmores because they can’t join National Honor Society and being in Beta club will help you join when can”

Many students have joined Beta club this year and are taking the opportunity to do something new and learn some great life lessons. Beta club has had an immense growth spurt, and with most of the new members being freshman or sophomores, it really helps give students exposure to what it takes to be a leader and how to handle responsibility.

“We got recognized by the National Beta Club Organization because of our growth and service,” said Morgan.

Students from Summerville High being recognized nationally is big for the school and for Beta club. Thanks to more and more students joining, SHS Beta club has been put on the map and gotten the recognition they deserve.

“It looks really good on your college application and it provides leadership skills,” Morgan stated, “Students that are in the club can also run for office and can have a position in the club.”

Giving the students positions and specific roles to play really helps structure Beta club and encourage others to join.

Beta club is a very important organization that helps students and the community in many ways and it’s a great opportunity for students to gain life experience. For more information on joining Beta club visit Mrs. Morgan on the engineering hallway.

About the Writers
Dontrell Whetsell, Staff Writer

Dontrell Whetsell is the most hated person on the Wave Breaker staff because Gracie left. He is trying his best so please say your mean comments behind...

Jackson Hackett, Staff Writer

Jackson Hackett is 15 and is a freshman (don't bully him). He enjoys listening to music, (Rap and 80’s/90’s music) talking with friends, and sleeping....