Green Wave goes red for the blood drive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Green Wave goes red for the blood drive

Elizabeth Hamilton, senior, donates blood in the library on December 20th, 2018.

Brooke Holladay

Brooke Holladay

Brooke Holladay

The blood drive is a quarterly event at Summerville High School that students and faculty participate in by donating all types of blood,  including type O negative. O negative is the rarest blood type donated, so many people with this type of blood are asked to provide two pints instead of one.

“It’s rare, but many recipients can use the blood type of O negative, and they love for people with that blood type to donate two pints, which is the maximum you can donate,” stated Ms. Fuller, who runs the blood drive.

Student Council members put on the event,  located in the library, on November 28, to assist the donors with snacks, drinks, and arranging the tables and chairs to make space for the equipment.

Many students are scared to donate blood, while others anticipate their first time donating. Students and faculty donors may feel nauseous, lightheaded, or dizzy after donating blood. It should only last a few minutes, though, just make sure to eat, drink about sixteen ounces of water, and wear a short-sleeved shirt (or a shirt with sleeves that are easy to roll up) before donating blood.

“I’ve never given blood before, but my veins were  too small to proceed with giving blood. I allowed the medical assistant to prick  the inside of my arm four times and I almost passed out, ” Nevaeh McCracy explained the physical aspects of giving blood.  

The importance of donating blood is beneficial for recipients and donors by lowering the risk of cancer in the liver, colon, lung, stomach, esophagus, and heart attack or heart disease.

“It’s the easiest way I can help without getting all sweaty. So many people are in need of blood all over the world. If I didn’t give blood that’s like six people[because I gave two pints] that have died because of my failure to not give blood,” Collier Messick states the main reasons why he donates his blood.

The amount of blood in the human body is about nine to twelve pints, which depends on your size and other factors. Conditions that will require a blood transfusion are infections, liver disease, an illness that causes anemia, such as kidney disease and cancer.

“There’s a huge shortage of blood, because of the hurricanes and about one hundred blood drives were closed just in the Lowcountry alone. Fifty percent of the blood supply comes from schools. Some people have conditions that requires them to receive blood transfusions every month and just imagine not being able to receive blood, ” Miss Fuller stated.

Making a donation of about one pint will not drastically affect your body, but the body has enough capacity to replace all the cells and fluids that have been lost.  Students and faculty need to participate in this world changing event by giving just a pint of blood can change lives. There will be future blood drives at Summerville High School, with the goal being four drives a year.

About the Writer
Diamond Green, Staff Writer

Diamond is a senior, and new member of the Wave Breaker staff. Apart from newspaper, she has been in NJROTC for three years and entering her fourth. She...