Beloved comic creator Stan Lee passes away

Back to Article
Back to Article

On November 12th, 2018, Stan Lee, 95 year old Marvel comic creator, passed away. His death deeply affected not only those close to him, but the millions of fans who have him to thank for the amazing universe that he created.

Born Stanley Lieber in 1922, Stan Lee lead a life of success that has inspired countless others. He is behind such heroes as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, the X-Men and more.

“I used to be embarrassed because I was just a comic-book writer while other people were building bridges or going on to medical careers,” Stan Lee stated on his career, as listed by Washington Post, “And then I began to realize: entertainment is one of the most important things in people’s lives. Without it they might go off the deep end. I feel that if you’re able to entertain people, you’re doing a good thing.”

The many heroes of Marvel have provided fans with not only entertainment, but also inspiration and joy for decades since their creation, and they don’t seem to be losing their popularity any time soon. The MCU, or Marvel Cinematic Universe, is hugely successful in creating films about the many heroes Stan Lee (along with his colleagues) brought to life. Lee actually made appearances in several of the movies, and Marvel fans consider those cameos to be very important parts of the movies.

“Marvel movies have always been a big part of my family,” said senior Meaghan O’Bry, “We always watched them together, and now that Stan Lee is gone, it won’t be the same. My family is heartbroken.”

Meaghan is not the only one who was personally affected by Stan Lee’s passing. He brought people together, he inspired millions, and many people he worked with took to social media to show how much they would miss him.

“There will never be another Stan Lee. For decades he provided both young and old with adventure, escape, comfort, confidence, inspiration, strength, friendship and joy. He exuded love and kindness and will leave an indelible mark on so, so, so many lives,” tweeted Captain America actor Chris Evans, adding on Stan Lee’s catchphrase, “Excelsior!”

Captain America is one of Marvel’s original characters, one created specifically to bring a feeling of patriotism to Americans who were going through World War II. The Captain punches Hitler right in the face in one of his most famous comic covers, created by Jack Kirby, and also served as a symbol of hope and power for Jewish comic-readers, as he was created by Jewish people as well. Although the captain was created by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, Stan Lee worked on many comics involving this amazing character, including the first ever comic he contributed to, entitled “Captain America Foils the Traitor’s Revenge”.

“We’ve lost a creative genius. Stan Lee was a pioneering force in the superhero universe. I’m proud to have been a small part of his legacy and to have helped bring one of his characters to life,” tweeted Hugh Jackman, who has played Wolverine in several Marvel movies.

The X-Men were created to empower people who were different, and give them a universe where they could be heroes. The team also represented Stan Lee’s stance against racism, and has lead to a plethora of films including an original trilogy, stand-alone’s and a new wave of films that began with “X-Men: First Class” in 2011. We wouldn’t have any of this without Stan Lee.

“No one has had more of an impact on my career and everything we do at Marvel Studios than Stan Lee,” tweeted Marvel Studios producer Kevin Feige, “Stan leaves an extraordinary legacy that will outlive us all. Our thoughts are with his daughter, his family, and his millions of fans.”

Stan Lee has appeared in movies, video games, cartoons, and even the Spider-Man ride in Universal Orlando. His legacy is well-known to anyone who cares for Marvel, and will live on with the millions of fans, family members, co-workers and more that he affected in his lifetime.

From a shy student who found comfort in Spider-Man’s adventures to a family of five who makes a habit of gathering to watch Avengers films every now and then, Marvel is certainly a source of positivity for its wide range of fans. Without Stan Lee, Marvel would not be where it is today. Without Stan Lee, millions are left to reflect on the life he lead, be thankful for everything he created, and mourn the loss of a very talented, influential man.

About the Contributor
Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editor-in-chiefs of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...