The Historians of Our School Year

Ms. Hoffman sits at her desk and chats with her yearbook staff about the ideas for themes, and the atmosphere is relatively relaxed. The entire staff just finished their main task this year–create a memorable yearbook for the SHS student body.

She became the advisor two years ago, after Ms. Bartley departed from SHS. Ms. Hoffman also teaches English IV classes, but between those two classes, both are very different.

“This is really a business,” Hoffman said. “I’m more or less their employer, and not a teacher, because we’re making a product that the student body can buy,” Hoffman continued.

Ms. Hoffman has one goal: create a history book, but for a school.

“We are creating a book that clearly embodies our school during the year. In other words, we’re creating a history book where years and years from now, you can open up this book and remember what went on,” Hoffman explained.

However, making a yearbook takes an unlimited amount of patience and dealing with an unlimited amount of stress.

“Being an advisor that oversees what happens and controls most of what happens, but allowing your students to do what they need to, and trusting them to do it when it’s supposed to be done,” Hoffman explained.

“We’re selling a book, that at this point of the year, nearly costs a hundred bucks, and it isn’t some copy and paste deal. The hardest part is trusting your kids to meet your expectations,” Hoffman further explained.

It has also been a learning process for the entire staff.

“The product turnout has been a little bit better and we have learned to meet deadlines, work a little better to create the best book possible,” Hoffman commented.

They’ve also gone to seminars and conferences to become “on par” with the rest of the state, as said by Ms. Hoffman.

For the editor-in-chief, the stress of making the book is just as great, or, if not, greater.

“Sometimes, we’ll give people spreads to do, and rely on them to get the interviews and complete the work, which can be pretty stressful when it isn’t done,” Annslee Clawider, the current editor-in-chief, commented.

However, it doesn’t take away from the positives of working on it.

“My favorite part of being on yearbook is probably hearing everyone’s stories, and when we interview them, someone will tell us something about themselves that I would have never guessed,” Annslee expressed.

Besides the stress, people on the staff generally enjoyed what they did, whether it be interviews, photography, or designing.

“It really helps develop social skills, because you’re constantly talking to and interviewing people and it takes you out of your comfort zone,” remarked Jordan Moore, 12, yearbook staff.

“My favorite part is getting the yearbook at the end of the year, and seeing the work that was made, and thinking ‘oh my god, I made that’, and it’s just a really good feeling,” Jamia Johnson, 12, commented.

The book was released to seniors who ordered them this week.

“It means a lot to me, because you can look back on it and see the work you’ve done,” Johnson added.

The yearbook staff will have an event May 14th to give ordered books to underclassmen.