Study tips for the EOCs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Study tips for the EOCs

Studying is a great and effective way to prepare for quizzes, tests, and exams. Making a good grade is something anyone would want when being tested.

“Sometimes it’s hard for me to find time to study… between work and school,” explains Dayna Haffenden, junior.

Never leave studying for last minute. Prepare and find time to study. Cramming in the final hours of an exam may work for some, but isn’t often efficient. Preparing a study timetable is a good place to begin. Writing down the exams you have and when you have them can help you to set up your studying timetable accordingly. Find balance and comfortability within your study sessions.

“I often do find myself cramming before a test or quiz, but it’s most likely because I forgot about it. Getting more organized is a new goal for me,” claims Taylor Richardson, sophomore.

Having an organized and appointed study area is a way to prepare yourself. Don’t hate your study area make it a place you’re going to want to visit often. Being able to focus and not being distracted is key when studying. Some people enjoy having a cluttered space while others enjoy a neat organized area to study. Find what suits you best.

“Whenever I’m studying I try to find a quiet, comfortable place,” mentions Connor Lincks, junior.

An effective way to prepare for a quiz, test, or exam is to practice with previous exams. It’ll help you prepare for the format and use of questions. It’ll also help you to practice on how much time to spend on each question/section.

Study groups is a wonderful way to study as well. Getting together with friends in a designated area such as a library, park, etc. somewhere quiet and where you’ll have the least amount of distractions is ideal. Not only are you preparing for an exam, but you’ll get to spend time with friends and help them to prepare as well.

“I love studying with study groups. Not only are you getting some studying done, but you get to hang out with your friends as well,” explains Joshua Garcia, senior.

Highlighting areas where you need more studying time is important. A good way to figure out these areas is going over questions with a partner and describing your answers. If you find it hard to describe your answers or even answer your questions at all you may need to spend more time on that specific area compared to others.

It’s important to take breaks in between your study sessions. Studying for as many hours as you can isn’t always the ideal way to go. Taking regular breaks can really aid in studying. Research shows that studying consistently for hours can actually be counterproductive.

“Once I get studying it’s hard for me to take breaks, so I set reminders on my phone to remind me to take breaks in between that way I don’t go overboard with the studying,” claims Alexandra Dunspaugh.

Snack breaks are necessary as well. Fuel your body with nutritious snacks that’ll impact your energy levels and focusing abilities. Keeping your body and brain stimulated and drinking tons of water to stay hydrated is one of the keys to getting a good session out of studying.

Studying appropriately along with planning and preparing for exams can make your exam grade very promising. Good grades are extremely important especially when it comes to furthering with your education.

About the Writer
Payton Vaughn, Staff Writer

Payton Vaughn is a junior enjoying her second year in journalism and first year on the Wave Breaker staff at SHS. Payton enjoys photography, listening...