March For Our Lives Charleston

Anna Sharpe

More stories from Anna Sharpe

A girl named Ylime
March 22, 2018
Back to Article
Back to Article

March For Our Lives Charleston

Hundreds of student led protests across the nation are taking place on March 24.

On Feb. 14, students at Stoneman Douglas High School attended their classes like any normal day. It was not until that afternoon that the nightmare began.

A former student, armed with an AR-15, pulled the fire alarm in one of the buildings, and opened fire on students and teachers attempting to flee.

14 students and 3 faculty members were killed, making it one of the deadliest mass shootings in the world.

In the wake of this unspeakable tragedy the gun control debate fired up once again. Angered and scared parents reached out to political figures who stated that it’s not the time to get political; it’s time to offer condolences and grieve.

This is not the answer the students of Stoneman Douglas High School want or accept.

The students, led by seniors Emma González and David Hogg and junior Cameron Kasky, have refused to let their school’s tragedy be forgotten.

Kasky announced the March For Our Lives rally just four days after the shooting. Already, there have been dozens of sister marches created all over the nation, spanning from Hawaii to right here in Charleston.

Following the events in Florida, Sydney Clinton, a sophomore at Ashley Ridge High School, was filled with fear.

“After hearing about the atrocity that occurred in Florida, I was completely appalled. It shocked me that this is the United States and schools are being shot up with AR-15s.

“The very next day, towards the end of lunch, our fire alarm went off. To say that I was frozen with fear is an understatement,” Clinton said.

“The following day, at about 9:30 am, there were posts from a student on social media saying he was gonna shoot up our school. That afternoon I went home and decided I couldn’t just sit around and feel helpless” said Clinton.

Clinton used her fright to form March For Our Lives Charleston, a sister march to the March For Our Lives in Washington, D.C..

The march will take place on March 24 at Riverfront Park in North Charleston from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.

“Teenagers are a lot stronger and determined that people like to think…,” Clinton said.

“The Parkland shooting was a wake up call to a lot of those kids that the people who are supposed to be keeping us safe have failed, so it’s time we keep ourselves safe.”

About the Writer
Anna Sharpe, Staff Writer

Anna Sharpe is a senior at Summerville High School. This is her fourth year in Newspaper, and to be honest, she didn’t think she’d ever make it. She...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “March For Our Lives Charleston”

1. Caitlin Shelor on March 17th, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello, I am working on a project for the students of Parkland (Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School) , and I was hoping I could get in contact with someone in charge of the March For Our Lives Charleston event to talk to them about my project. Someone please email me about this.

2. Caitlin Shelor on March 17th, 2018 6:31 pm

My email is [email protected]

• March For Our Lives Charleston

News

Summerville High School undergoes drug searches by canine units

• March For Our Lives Charleston

News

Pulseras

• March For Our Lives Charleston

News

New and improved weight room

• March For Our Lives Charleston

News

Theater students present “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”

• March For Our Lives Charleston

News

Beloved comic creator Stan Lee passes away

• March For Our Lives Charleston

School

Summerville High School holds 2018 Academic Awards

• March For Our Lives Charleston

News

Italian festival

• March For Our Lives Charleston

Infographics

How to vote in South Carolina

• March For Our Lives Charleston

News

Magnolia Dance Academy, Olivia Trevillyan hosts Dance for Dogs

• March For Our Lives Charleston

News

Hurricane Florence on the horizon

March For Our Lives Charleston