Mrs. Plane awarded teacher of the year

Mrs.+Plane+was+surprised+by+her+family+on+Jan+31+when+she+was+announced+as+Teacher+of+the+Year.+
Mrs. Plane was surprised by her family on Jan 31 when she was announced as Teacher of the Year.

Ryan Okpych

Ryan Okpych

Mrs. Jennifer Plane has recently been announced as the 2018 Teacher of the Year for Summerville High School. Mrs. Plane is Summerville’s AP Literature and Composition teacher, leads Teacher Cadets, sponsors National Honor Society, and is the SHS English Department Head. Now she can add Teacher of the Year to her long list of titles, much to the enjoyment of herself and all those who support her (and there are many).

Mrs. Plane has been teaching for a total of 25 years, with 17 of those years spent at Summerville High School. With her experience, she inspires others to become both exceptional English students as well as, if they are a part of the Teacher Cadet program she works with, future teachers who teach with similar mastery to Plane herself.

“I wanted to do Teacher Cadets because I knew a lot of people that had taken the class before and loved it. Mrs. Plane is an amazing teacher. She is very kind and understanding, and she works very hard to get to know her students.

“She makes every student feel welcome in her classroom. She really does love her job and every lesson she teaches is purposeful,” said junior Teacher Cadet student, Lizzie Naval.

Plane works hard to help shape future teachers and current exceptional students in every subject she works with them in.

“She is a great teacher and she has helped me to better understand English literature,” said William Edwards, junior.

Despite her success in her career, Plane didn’t originally plan to become a teacher.

“I started out as a business major, thinking I could make a lot of money doing that, but that involves math,” said Plane as she laughed and recounted her college experience.

“Then I decided to just do what I always wanted to do and become a teacher” said Plane.

All here at Summerville High School are thankful that she decided to go into teaching.

“Mrs. Plane is one of my favorite teachers. She is always open to help, and she makes sure everyone is on the path to success,”  stated junior AP Lit/Comp student Abigail Aquino.

Plane is not only one of Summerville’s favorite teachers, she is also an alumni of the high school, having graduated in 1986.

“I always wanted to come back and teach at my school because I had such amazing English teachers,” said Mrs. Plane.

Not only does Plane exhibit first-rate teaching skills, but also an impressive amount of school spirit.

On teaching as a whole, Mrs. Plane recounted that she has taught every level of English, but AP classes have a special place in her heart.

“I like the rigor of AP Lit. I like that there’s a test at the end that basically tests you on your knowledge that you’ve learned all year, it’s a high stakes test, and also that you get college credit for it,” Plane expanded.

Ms. Plane is very passionate about her students and making sure she teaches them all she can. Preparing students for an AP test can be difficult task, but Plane is well-suited for the job. It’s all worth it in the end, as Mrs. Plane loves teaching and forms a bond with every student she gets to know.

“My most memorable experience in teaching happens every year, when I get to see my students graduate and walk across the stage and they decide to come back and visit or send me an email to tell me how successful they are or what they’re doing,”said Mrs. Plane.

With this much care and devotion for teaching, it is no wonder that Mrs. Plane is the winner of this year’s Teacher of the Year award.

“I’m over the moon, one of the highest accolades you can get is Teacher of the Year, so it’s a very big deal for me and my family,” Mrs. Plane said on the significance of her honor.