FCC to repeal Net Neutrality

On Nov. 22, the Federal Communications Commission released the final proposal to end the current regulations of Net Neutrality.

The Proposal to Restore Internet Freedom plans to reverse the regulations adopted in 2015 under Title II, which “enact strong, sustainable rules grounded in multiple sources of legal authority to protect the Open Internet and ensure that Americans reap the economic, social, and civic benefits of an Open Internet.”

FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, in an interview with PBS, addressed his problems with the current net neutrality rules.

“…[M]y concern is that, by imposing those heavy-handed economic regulations on Internet service providers big and small, we could end up disincentivizing companies from wanting to build out Internet access to a lot of parts of the country, in low-income, urban and rural areas, for example.”

The main reason cited in favor of the order is that under Title II, investment in the Internet and economic activity suffered due to the heavy government regulation.

“This [order] will promote future innovation and investment,” the order states. “And more investment in digital infrastructure will create jobs, increase competition, and lead to better, faster, cheaper Internet access for all Americans, especially those in rural and low-income areas,” said Pai.

The order would remove the regulations that stop Internet service providers, or ISPs, from throttling Internet speeds and blocking consumers from accessing certain sites or using certain apps.

Currently the Internet is categorized as a utility and not a luxury, like water or electricity, following the June 2016 Supreme Court case against the FCC.

However, if passed, the bill will reverse that decision and return the Internet “the bipartisan consensus on light touch regulation, ending utility-style regulation of the Internet.”

This means that ISPs will be free to do whatever they wish to your Internet.The order however, does require that ISPs be transparent about their practices and services to their consumers and the FCC.

This proposal has been met with much opposition. Big companies, such as Google and Netflix, and scores of upset citizens have taken to writing letters, creating petitions, like this one on www.whitehouse.gov that has amassed over 200,000 signatures, and even calling for the resignation of Pai as chairman of the FCC.

The FCC is scheduled to vote on the order on Dec. 14.