All you need to know about block, traditional, and hybrid schedules:

November 21, 2017

Recently there has been word that schedules next year will change.

There are pros and cons to both traditional and block schedules. In order to compromise and get the best of both words, SHS has decided to adopt a hybrid schedule next school year.

Patrick Baird

Block schedule

Block schedules allow for flexibility and personalization in class schedules. Your typical block schedule consists of four 90 minute class periods each semester. The novelty and adjustability offered by block schedule formatting have led schools all over the nation to adopt the new format.

With block schedules the workload students face with traditional schedule formatting is divided between two semesters. Four classes are completed in semester one and four others in semester two. This takes a lot of stress and anxiety out of students’ lives, allowing them to really focus on the four classes of that semester and improving test scores significantly.

The 90 minute class periods allow students and teachers to form relationships, which allows teachers to cater to students’ specific needs. The longer class periods also allow for more material to be covered each day. Students and teachers can really work through harder to grasp concepts instead of rushing to fit lessons into shorter time slots.

Some believe that block schedules are the way of the future. They cater to student and teacher needs that are otherwise ignored. Our world is changing rapidly, so should the way we educate.