Culinary students greet and seat teachers.

Emma Lindenberg

Emma Lindenberg

Culinary arts students put on Thanksgiving meal for teachers

November 17, 2017

On Thursday, Nov. 17, the culinary arts classes held a Thanksgiving Feast for Summerville faculty and staff, as well as the district offices.

This meal’s purpose was to give culinary arts students the opportunity to showcase and apply the skills they have been learning.

In the class, students learn the ins and outs of the food industry, including how to cook from scratch and etiquette that they can use in the real world.

And to be so young and given that opportunity, I feel I have a great responsibility to give that opportunity to students too”

— Chef Huff

“We get to work hands on in an industry that most people will never get to experience,” said Shaun Mitchell, senior and second year culinary arts student. “It gives us actual job skills instead of just sitting in a class.”

Chef Huff, head of the program, hopes to give his students the same experience that he had when he was a student himself.

“I started culinary arts in high school, that’s where I fell in love with it, and when I got the opportunity to take this job I knew it was for me because in high school, at a young age, I found my path, my career path, my passion in life. And to be so young and given that opportunity, I feel I have a great responsibility to give that opportunity to students too” said Chef Huff.

The interactive style of the class allows students who are interested in culinary arts to explore their hobbies.

“I’ve always been interested in culinary. I took it last year and there were a lot of fun people, a lot of fun aspects, and I wanted to take it again,” said Christian Brandt, junior.

Ms. Mercer-Brown, guidance counselor, believes that the Culinary Arts program, as well as all CATE classes are valuable parts of the high school experience.

“I think these classes are important because it exposes students to real world experiences and gives them the opportunity to get hands on exposure with different and various fields of study,” said Ms. Mercer-Brown. “I think my overall impression of just the CATE program is that those are viable career options for students moving forward, it helps them again get exposed to a rigorous curriculum. Students might be able to determine if they want to go in a particular career field, or they don’t want to go into a particular career field or they just have an interest or hobby that they would like to explore further” said Mrs. Mercer-Brown.

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I’m impressed with the professionalism of the students in their chef uniforms and the presentation of the food. It’s absolutely delicious as well”

— Mrs. Furnari

Elena Furnari, Director of High Schools for the District, thoroughly enjoyed the feast, and supports the Culinary Arts program.

“Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I’m impressed with the professionalism of the students in their chef uniforms and the presentation of the food. It’s absolutely delicious as well” said Mrs. Furnari.

The program has grown considerably since its introduction into the curriculum last year.

“I think the secret [to the program’s success] is to keep to the reasons why I fell in love with culinary arts, and keep it fun keep it about the food, keep it interesting… I think that’s the secret,” said Chef Huff.

As for the future of the program, Chef Huff hopes to increase the student’s career readiness.

“Eventually I’d like to have where the students can get certifications and credits that will transfer to industry and they will be completely career ready when they leave my program,” Chef Huff added.

Culinary Arts has proven to be a successful and rewarding program and will continue to serve not only its students but the Summerville High faculty and staff as well.

Culinary Arts provided an assortment of hors d'oeuvres for faculty and staff.