Charleston Yallfest

Jason Lancia digs into a YA book during class.

Tommy Dame

Tommy Dame

Yallfest is the  country’s largest Young Adult Book Festival, which happens to take place every year in Charleston, SC. It was founded by a local author named Jonathan Sanchez in 2011 and is run by Blue Bicycle Books on King Street.

Every year on the second weekend of November, over sixty YA authors come to Charleston to sign books, talk on panels and participate in other fun events. This event takes place on and around Upper King Street, where the locally-owned bookstore, Blue Bicycle Books, is located.

The Blue Bicycle Books bookstore was founded in 1995 by Lee and Jim Breeden, with the name of Boomer’s Books. The name changed to Blue Bicycle Books in 2007 when the store was bought by Jonathan Sanchez, who was a longtime employee. Many people enjoy the book store for its great book selection and cool atmosphere.

When the annual Yallfest first started in 2011, less than 35 authors attended. Now, six years later, the festival has grown so that it now attracts over 65 authors and over 12,000 fans each year.  It now even has a sister festival called “Yallwest” that takes place in Santa Monica, California,  every year in April.

This year the Yallfest is taking place on Nov. 10 and 11. Some of the authors coming to Charleston this year  include Ally Condie, David Levithan, Marissa Meyer, and Veronica Roth. There will be over 75 authors coming to the Yallfest this year.

Aside from author signings, there will also be panels, where authors talk about a wide variety of topics from romance to monsters and creatures, and special events such as coffee giveaways and cupcake competitions.

The Yallfest starts on Friday afternoon with the Yallcrawl, where select authors will sign books at businesses and shops on Upper King Street, and ends on Saturday afternoon with the YA smackdown, which involves games, music, and fun!

About the Contributors
Emily Morris, Staff Writer

Emily Morris is a junior at Summerville High School, and this is her second year on the Wave Breaker staff. She enjoys reading, and her favorite series is Harry Potter (which she has read too many times to count). Emily is a proud Gryffindor, and strongly belives that Gryffindor is the best Hogwarts House. The few times Emily willingly leaves her house, she can be found camping with her Girl Scout troop. This year Emily looks forward to becoming a better writer and contributing more to the Wave Breaker

Tommy Dame, Publisher in training? Staff Writer

Thomas Dame, son of Greg Dame. Lil Tom Tom grew up on Oprah and Family Guy and ended up in Newspaper. Thomas is a “ key part of newspaper.” If he was not there to fill up Ms. Niels water and remind her to take attendance it just would not be the same. He hopes to contribute as much as he can to the newspaper, but his lack of brains makes that hard. Thomas will continue to strive for greatness and try to make the newspaper a more humourous place.