Would white roads help us?

Many feel that white roads would remove some of the excess heat trapped by common black pavement.

There’s some big changes going on in Los Angeles California: the roads may become less of a hot spot. California is taking a big leap and is painting the roads white. It might seem weird but there’s a good reason.

Scientifically, it makes sense to make white the most-common road color, but we all know that it’s not used. I have never seen a white road, nor has most of the population. This may seem like a strange idea but it makes more sense than you’d think. White reflects all colors while black absorbs them, so the black roads in a very hot climate absorb the heat and make it hard to be on the road.

We know as residents of the southern part of the United States it gets very hot sitting in traffic on the road or having a broken AC, and the hot black roads are part of the problem. Imagine how much cooler it would be if we painted our roads white. No more suffering in stifling hot areas or sweating when you enter the car.

“It’s so hot in our area during summer; the pool water is warm and ice melts in minutes. I think white roads would at least make the roads a bit more habitable. I think it’s a great idea” said Barron Alers, senior.

This may not affect the rest of California as fast as we might think. As of April 7, 2017, Governor Jerry Brown of California officially stated that most of California is no longer in a drought state, so one would assume that painting the white roads may not be necessary.

Even with most of California no longer having drought status, this new innovation could still help reduce the super-hot temperatures of summer, usually 84.8 degrees Fahrenheit in CA.  Los Angeles’s goal is to reduce the temperature as global climate rises, because if it continues to rise at the pace it has been, the areas all around the globe may see this as a cost-effective way to reduce temperatures in particularly hot areas.