Senior Picnic shakeup

Shalah Allen

Shalah Allen

On Sept. 20, the hallways of Summerville High School buzzed with the concern for one of the most anticipated events of high school with the exception of graduation: the Senior Picnic.

The Senior Picnic is an event notorious for the enjoyable atmosphere where the senior class receives yearbooks, reflects on the accomplishments of the past four years, and has the opportunity to gather at a last soiree before they go their separate ways into adulthood. However, rumors of a potential cancellation or the chance for another grade level to intrude on the event have inflicted panic and discomfort within the entire student body.

Should seniors be entitled to an event that has occurred the past five or so years, or will earning it make the Senior Picnic that much sweeter?

“It’s hard to transition from an entitlement one year to earning it the next because the students who have been waiting the past four years for the senior picnic become either devastated or outraged” shared senior Paris Rizzo.

“The senior picnic should remain senior” Rizzo claimed, but she is open to the idea behind “competition… being used to make the other classes step up the spirit.”

The uproar traveled not only between the students, but faculty and staff members as well. Just two days after claims were made, Leadership teacher and founder of the Senior Dues package, Ms. Teal Miller, and Chemistry teacher, Ms. Causey, addressed the frustration at the Senior Breakfast.

“Seniors know how to win” Ms. Causey reassured the senior class, reiterating that they have “shown amazing spirit and participation so far.”

Along with Ms. Causey’s claim that seniors are to “show underclassmen how it’s done,” Ms. Miller added that she “would hate to throw a sophomore picnic.”

The key to acquiring the picnic lies within the spirit points. Spirit points are earned through spirit week activities during the duration of the year. The winning class with the most spirit points at the end of the year will be awarded the picnic.

When seniors first heard about this new idea of earning the picnic they were under the impression that a loss would mean having a shared affair. According to Ms. Miller that idea is incorrect. The picnic is a black and white topic where the winner gets it and the losers do not.

“Seniors know how to win” Ms. Miller declared.

Some hope that this whole ordeal is a cruel joke the faculty is playing on the senior class, but either way the fight for the picnic is on and the seniors have decided to bring their green and gold Green Wave pride.