Modern icons of Black History Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

Modern icons of Black History Month

Michael B. Jordan, Donald Glover, and Kofi Kingston are modern icons of Black History Month

Eve Katz

Eve Katz

Eve Katz

It’s Black History Month, and usually the same lineup of icon is praised during this time: Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, Jesse Owens, and others. These are not the only legends in black history forever, there are many more modern heroes that still deserve praise.

Michael B. Jordan is one of the most popular actors in the modern era, starring in movies like “Creed”,  “That Awkward Moment”, ”“Chronicle”, “Fruitvale Station”, and “Black Panther”.

Joedan has made a name for himself in film, starting with his ever major role in “Friday Night Lights” as Vince Howard, a courageous football player with a troubling past, who’s focusing on his future.

He went on to star in a classic “Fruitvale Station”, playing Oscar Grant III, which recreated a tragedy that happened 10 years ago. Jordan put on a performance that many audience members found to be immensely moving.

Jordan is an immensely successful young black actor, which is inspiring to all those who look up to him. Seeing someone who worked his way through with non-stop support gives young black men and women a good role model to look up to. This was made apparent when the Academy award-winning “Black Panther” movie came out.

Kofi Kingston is an African American wrestler born in Kumasi, Ghana. Kingston is one of WWE’s best. Making his debut in ECW all the way back in 2008, he’s made quite a name for himself. He won his first title which was the Intercontinental Championship, he became the first Ghanaian champion in the WWE. He’s a four-time Intercontinental Champion, Three-time U.S. Champion, and four-time Tag-Team Champion, he’s also the longest reigning champion of all time.

Besides just his success in wrestling, Kingston went on to support such inspiring causes as anti-bully campaigns and Make-A-Wish.

Kofi Kingston is a favorite amongst fans. On SmackDown Live, aired on February 12, Kingston went a whole hour showing heart and determination, outlasting Daniel Bryan, Samoa Joe, and Jeff Hardy.

Kingston is getting a push in the right direction after his tremendous performance at the Elimination Chamber. With a crowd of fans supporting him, and his latest performances, Kingston is a likely candidate for the first black wrestler to be crowned champion.

Donald Glover is a multi-talented superstar who specializes music, comedy, acting, and even directing. Donald Glover has had a stellar past few years, from Marvel fans wanting him as Miles Morales/Spiderman, to dropping an album under the alias of Childish Gambino.

Donald Glover released a track called  “This Is America” highlighting the tragedy and chaos inside of America and how it’s being ignored by popular dancing and blind happiness. It was widely considered to be a beautiful piece written by an open-minded artist.

So far as acting goes, Donald Glover’s first role came in 2009 with “Mystery Team”. He played the iconic character Troy Barnes in the show “Community”, and has also made appearances in films.

In 2017, Donald Glover became the first African American male to win an Emmy award for directing. At the Grammys, he went on to make history again for his track “This Is America”, which was the first hip-hop song to win after being nominated. Having an amazing year with his projects, and public excitement over future projects, it seems that many fans are on the edge of their seats waiting to see what Glover does next.

These three men put their best effort into what they are passionate about, whether it be acting, music, wrestling or art. No matter what it is, they put their best foot forward and their heart into what they do, giving unforgettable performances and teaching audiences that despite their color or their background, anyone can be an successful.

About the Contributors
Elijah Hallums, Staff Writer

Okay Okay, hello! This amazing person is Elijah, well he goes by Eli but that’s beside the point. He’s into 90's horror movies and photography, although...

Eve Katz, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Head of Graphic Design

Eve is one of two editors-in-chief of the Wave Breaker. She loves writing and taking pictures of her dogs. She spends all of her time watching and rewatching...