The leaders of National Honors Society

Back to Article
Back to Article

The leaders of National Honors Society

The NHS club photo.

The NHS club photo.

Mrs. Fuller

The NHS club photo.

Mrs. Fuller

Mrs. Fuller

The NHS club photo.

Summerville High School’s branch of National Honors Society (NHS) recognizes students who have exceed expectations, not just with school work, but with other qualities like leadership, community service, and scholarships. Built on these ideals, this club has grown to exist in all 50 states. Summerville’s National Honor Society is lead by Mrs. Johnson and student president Sullivan Long, who is a senior here at Summerville.

NHS can teach lessons on how to be a better contributor to your community.

“I hope the club members gain a sense of being a part of their community, because a big part of the club has to do with being a servant and helping others while also maintaining their grades,” said Mrs. Johnson.

This club is not only academically beneficial, but really emphasizes being more involved in general.

“Besides looking really good on college applications, it really give students something to be a part of,” Johnson stated.

This is Mrs. Johnson’s first year being head adviser of NHS.

“I was just asked to do this position,” Johnson explained. “Mrs. Plane was the previous advisor and she came to me last year and said. ‘I would like to pass this job off would you being willing to take over?’, so I said sure. This has been completely new for me.”

Head adviser is a very different from club leader. Mrs. Johnson’s job involves more behind the scenes work.

“My job is to get information to the club, that’s really all I do,” Johnson said, “I send the Remind texts about projects they can be doing in the community to get their volunteer hours.”

National Honors Society definitely keeps its members busy.

“It’s important to keep your grades up and important to be involved in your community already,” Johnson stated, “While National Honors Society gives you a lot of opportunity to be involved, part of the application process is looking at your previous community involvement.”

Sullivan Long is the club president, and she has been an NHS member since her sophomore year.

“We have meetings every few months, and we send out the reminds for community service,” Long said, “We need to complete 20 hours per semester of community service. We do tutoring and other activities in the school and community. I just organize all that for the club.”

Being club leader or a member comes with a lot of hard work that pays off when you enjoy what you’re doing.

“Getting more people to join, completing all the service hours, and really helping out the community,” Long stated on her favorite part of being in NHS, “It’s just nice for people to appreciate the work that you do.”

“Making the school more community-oriented and people-oriented is what we’re trying to do,” said Long.

Just getting into the club takes hard work, and every student does their part for the club.

“Being inducted sophomore year was just and great, and this year being the club president has just been the cherry on top of it all,” Long said, “I’m looking forward to the induction ceremony. There have been a lot of sophomores and juniors who have taken time with their application. I’m excited to see that.”

Being a part of any club includes team effort and it’s important to have a good team dynamic

“Mrs. Johnson is a great club sponsor,” Long stated, “It’s probably not the easiest job, but she’s doing a great job providing us with new opportunities and keeping us organized. Our whole team is great: myself, the vice president, the secretary, and the treasurer. We’re all really close friends and we work well together. If there are ever any problems we all come up with a solution and do what we need to do.”

About the Writer
Jada Strong, Staff Writer

Jada Strong is a junior this year and has a passion for writing. She hopes to write reviews on entertainment this year, that is if she can push through...